Reports To: Quality Assurance Automation Manager
Department: Information Technology
Location: Columbia, MD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Posted: August 15, 2012
Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer is responsible for planning, designing, developing, executing, and maintaining the automated testing infrastructure. Test automation spans the technical, Microsoft Windows-based, infrastructure of the company. The QA Automation Engineer must have deep graphical user interface (GUI) test automation skills and knowledge. The incumbent may also focus on other areas of automation, which may include testing at Web Service, Command Line application, Great Plains Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and/or database levels. This position is responsible for developing software that tests software, and the incumbent must have the discipline and software construction knowledge required to develop functional and maintainable systems. This position will need to work effectively with the Test Automation Manager and technical teams to determine how to best implement the technical solutions as well as the business users to determine what to test based on the nature of the target system. The ideal candidate will have a history of successfully implementing an automated testing infrastructure with demonstrable long-term sustainable value to the organization.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Works with Subject Matter Experts to determine appropriate test cases to implement with automated testing while taking into account the testing value of having automated tests versus the cost of building and maintaining them.
- Works with technical team to determine the optimal technical approach to automating components of the system.
- Develops, executes, and maintains automated tests.
- Participates in planning releases to determine appropriate automated test involvement.
- Works with manual testers to provide various tools to enable better manual test coverage and/or efficiency.
- Maintains and builds-out an automated test suite that can be continuously run to provide constant insight into release stability.
- Creates design documentation to capture what testing is being performed and how the solution is structured.
- Keeps the team apprised of the state of the art in test automation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment in Columbia, MD.
- Frequent travel to the corporate location of Charles Town, WV will be required (when necessary).
- Must be a self-starter, independent, and driven to succeed.
- Must enjoy developing tools to test information systems.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be adaptable to rapidly changing requirements of a growing organization.
- Understanding of the role of Quality Assurance in software development organizations.
- Knowledge of the various tools available that are useful for Test Automation.
- Ability to work in a team with diverse skills and experiences in order to respond to business needs.
- Knowledge of relational databases and methods for efficiently retrieving data from them. For all roles, skill in Structured Query Language (SQL) is essential.
- Ability to work with Software Development and Operations team to work through technical issues and challenges.
- Understanding of the modern GUI testing approaches and tradeoffs.
- Ability to help determine best GUI testing architecture and test strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline required.
- Experience developing in C#, Java, or C++ or other high level language.
- Experience with Automation Lifecycle Management (ALM) tools like Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) and HP Quality Center.
- Experience with load test tools like LoadRunner, TFS Web Performance/Load Test, JMeter.
- Knowledge of basic software development areas, such as: configuration management, version control, code reuse, loose coupling, tight cohesion, general technical solution architecture, and debugging is required.
- Experience with one or more of the following is desired:
- Great Plains ERP: Experience automating testing of scenarios that include verification of correct integration with Great Plains ERP system strongly desired.
- Web Services: Experience with Web service test tools like Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) user interface (UI), quicktest professional (QTP) Web Service Module, Visual Studio Web Service Testing, or hand-developed Web service test tools.
- Command Line Applications: Experience creating the “wrapper” for command line tool testing in a Windows environment to include automating setup for programmatic start state creation, command line execution, and result analysis. Experience with scripting languages like Python, Perl, Power Shell, Awk, and other general utility applications.
- Substantial expertise in automation of Web GUIs is required.
- Experience with automated testing tools like HP QTP, Microsoft TFS Coded UI Tests, and/or Selenium.
- Practical experience in the development, maintenance, and long-term use of a GUI testing framework.
- Fluency with QTP is strongly preferred; this includes the ability to understand and develop code in VBScript.
American Public University System - 21 months ago