The Build Engineer will evolve our current build process to incorporate continuous integration and build automation. They will help design technical and process solutions regarding code management, build processes and release processes. They will make recommendations regarding tools and processes, and will present to management for consensus. The Build Engineer will put together plans and be able to articulate the steps.
The Build Engineer will be responsible for branch, merge and maintenance of code for multiple overlapping agile teams, delivering code every two weeks (which equates to a production ready drop every few days). They will evolve our current branching and merging patterns, using industry standard practices, to incorporate unexpected changes, and be able to create a production ready release on demand (or within established SLA).
The Build Engineer will be responsible for enforcing policies regarding build and test practices, such as the methods and procedures for deployment of new features that are included with the final code drop, and that test cases required for automation are delivered before the initial code drop.
The Build Engineer will be responsible for delivering the completed step by step deployment plan to the operations team. They will also be responsible to send communications (release notes) when a new build is delivered to any environment.
The Build Engineer will be actively performing day to day build and release activities 60% of the time and Design, Planning and Engineering release tools and processes 15% of the time, and Quality Assurance testing 25% of the time. In certain situations they may be required to assist with an overnight deployment although that is not a planned function for this role.
- Responsible for helping create the plan to evolve our build process to continuous integration with build automation.
- Strict attention to detail will be required to ensure software version control is executed and maintained across multiple concurrent release streams.
- Day to day administration of TFS system in support of various project development teams
- Maintain automated builds and continuous integration scripts
- Ensure system integrity and enforce software version control policies and procedures
- Creates the policies for checking in code, branching, merging, shelving, etc. (code management) and enforces the same.
- Ensures builds include all of the necessary artifacts (installation procedures, release notes, etc.)
- Responsible for maintaining documentation, reporting and metrics regarding our build automation and continuous integration process and procedures.
- Migrates builds and artifacts to appropriate deployment, test, and user acceptance environments
- Excellent communication skills
- 2+ years software development experience
- 2+ years of experience administering Continuous Integration solutions like Team City, Jenkins, TFS, Visual Studio 2010, 2012
- 2+ years of experience in SQL scripting
- 1-2 years of experience as a Build / Release Engineer using TFS 2010
- Working knowledge of core Microsoft Technologies (.NET framework 2.0 – 4.5, C#, IIS, SQL Server, etc.)
- Experience working in an fast paced agile environment
- Experience supporting high volume mission critical applications
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines; extensive, directly-related experience may be considered in-lieu of degree(s).