Manages the daily quality control activities and food safety monitoring programs at Hanover plants. Directly supervises QA Supervisor and oversees the QA Laboratories at all Hanover, PA locations.
1) Sets sampling plans and test protocols for quality control attributes on finished products and essential raw materials from all manufacturing facilities.
2) Assigns special projects analysis on an as needed basis.
3) Supports plant management in resolving out of standard compliance.
4) Supports the Director of Technical Services in the development of specialized testing methods as required in support of manufacturing. Instructs QA technicians on detailed procedures, along with use of sophisticated instrumentation.
5) Maintains files on all lab equipment, when purchased, manufacturer, warranties, repair history, etc.
6) Maintains and coordinates all MSDS files for all chemicals used in the Utz plant labs.
7) Manages internal food safety and GMP audit program as a cross functional activity.
8) Assures Quality Assurance documentation meets requirements of current third party audit program.
9) Supports HACCP teams at the plant level for annual plan review and new process evaluation.
QUALITY CONTROL ACTIVITIES:
1) Manages incoming raw materials testing and approval program including test and sampling protocol for conformance to specific purchasing specifications.
2) Maintains records of daily testing and provides trend charts and analysis to QAC team for monthly review.
3) Participates in sensory attribute testing (taste, color) on raw materials and seasoning for the purpose of qualifying them for use in Utz products.
4) Provides periodic moisture and sensory testing to evaluate shelf life capacity of new packaging and products.
5) Manages retain sample and end of shelf life test program on all finished products.
6) Responsible for review of all customer complaint letters and analysis of deviations from quality standards.
a. Maintains a complaint file and monthly summary.
b. Supports root cause analyses and corrective action plans by the manufacturing sites to eliminate recurring issues.
c. Supports investigation of foreign materials complaints with extra testing and data charting.
7) Must be able to conduct all QC tests used at all Hanover plants and understand the scientific principles underlying all such tests.
8) Responsible for maintaining all lab equipment and all online monitoring equipment in proper working order. Manages calibration programs (internal and contracted calibration) of lab and factory test instruments and balances, including annual calibration of all balances and regular maintenance of moisture and fat analyzers.
9) Assists the Director of Quality Assurance in rapidly assembling all pertinent data related to product recalls and mock recall exercises. Participates on Corporate Recall Committee.
10) Responsible for monthly summary and all pertinent information currently included in QAC Manual.
11) Compiles data and publishes monthly Foreign Object Report.
12) Responsible for maintaining a continuous education program for department employees.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT:
1) Provides test data and analysis of data on new product trials and first production runs to support validation of new products and processes.
2) Spearheads evaluation of testing equipment for improved testing efficiency and capability.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES NEEDED:
1) Requires 5-10 years’ experience in snack food manufacturing with Bachelors Degree in science or engineering (Food Science preferred).
2) HACCP Certified within past 3 years
3) SQF Practitioner certified
4) Experience managing and working in cross functional teams
5) Leadership experience in preparing for and leading team through third party food safety/ GMP audits
6) Requires ability to direct and motivate subordinates in performance of their duties and conduct semi-annual performance reviews.
7) Experience integrating Statistical Process Control Methods is desirable. Must be capable of using and teaching others to use standard Office and Statistics software such as MS Office, Mini Tab, and QI Macros.
8) Requires ability to balance priorities and manage multiple projects on an on-going basis.
9) Must possess ability to effectively listen, communicate, and interface across all organizational levels.
10) Must have ability to maximize teamwork philosophies and achievements.
1) Quality Assurance Committee
2) Foreign Object Committee
3) Safety Committee