The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation.
This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management. At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible. If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
Quality Assurance Senior Manager
Quality assurance is about finding creative and effective ways to turn ideas into dependable products faster -- not about putting the brakes on talented, fast-moving engineering teams. If this matches your philosophy of QA then we want to talk to you. Climate Corporation is building models of climate and plant growth on a hyper-local level. On top of these models we are building a suite of products offering everything from weather insurance to farming decision support. Errors at any level of the stack can propagate up the stack and cause instability and, in the worst case, inaccurate pricing of insurance policies or bad advice for farmers.
We are looking for a QA Senior Manager who can lead the team that will be responsible for testing across all levels of our stack. This includes ‘big data’ ingestion of vast amounts of climate and agricultural data, world-leading models of climatology and agronomy, platform web services, multiple web-apps with 7x24 uptime requirements, and mobile applications. The QA Senior Manager will create a team that can write test plans for all releases, perform both manual and automated testing, analyze test case coverage and defect metrics, and work with business and technical teams to manage the product until it is released to the production environment.
Opportunity for quick growth and high levels of responsibility and autonomy come with the duties of the QA Senior Manager. We are looking for a candidate who will influence and lead others in controversial situations and when appropriate, be able to persuade senior level managers on issues that will make a difference. And we are looking for a candidate who can exercise leadership across the organization in interfacing with Product Management, Legal, Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support to make sure that the functions that support products, and product releases, are as ‘bug free’ as the products themselves.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes operational objectives and assignments, gather requirements and functional specifications, and delegate assignments to subordinates.
- Performs both manual testing and automated testing using with tools as Selenium RC, Jmeter, Linux, UNIX, SQL, Test Plans, Testing, Quality Assurance testing and metrics reporting.
- Mentors and guides the QE team as they integrate with multiple Agile development teams.
- Creates and executes test plans and test cases, submitting bug reports and maintaining a JIRA bug database.
- Works with Project Management and Software Engineering to determine quality test metrics for software products.
- Designs and enhances test environments and lab configurations to simulate deployment conditions.
- Designs and implement processes and practices that increase efficiency while improving quality, utilizing metrics to ensure released software meets quality standards.
- Manages local QA team including mentoring team members in order to improve skills and promote professional growth.
- Makes recommendations for quality improvements and enhancements to management
Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of a B.S. in an Engineering field, and at least 5-10 years technical or managerial experience in a related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Hands on Automation experience testing and metrics reporting
- Some expertise with SQL required
- Automation experience (experience with Java and Python or other scripting languages prefered)
- Hands on test environment setup experience
- Server administration experience a plus
What We Offer:
- Thorough understanding of and experience with a variety of QA practices and policies
- Experience with Agile development a must
- Proven ability in test management, planning and design with demonstrated success developing and utilizing QA and automated testing tools
- Demonstrated analytical and troubleshooting skills, with the ability to accurately perform detailed work with skill and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, supervisory, organizational, teamwork, project management, and oral and written communication skills
- A proactive manager with the ability to establish and meet aggressive goals and objectives in a fast-paced engineering environment.
- Web Application testing (familiar with web application servers)
- Basic familiarity with Linux/UNIX
- Knowledge of SQL and especially SQL-Server tools
- Restful web services testing a must
- Payments testing experience helpful
- Knowledge of internationalization of products is helpful
Our team is composed of some of the most brilliant interdisciplinary minds in the industry. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best product possible product and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Stock options. Our success is your success The opportunity to learn business and sales operations skills at a company experiencing explosive growth
- We provide meals and a large assortment of snacks, drinks, fruits,coffees, and teas to help you get through the day
- Spend 25% of your time (2 solid weeks out of 8) exploring personallycompelling topics through independent research/development work
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, kayaking, holiday yacht parties, and sporting events, etc.
- We sponsor hackathons, meetup groups, networking events, tech-talks,and conference trips. If you want to get involved in the techcommunity, we'll support your efforts
- We encourage all employees to better understand our customers bygetting out of the office and hearing firsthand from the agents andfarmers our products serve
- Energetic idea-driven work environment with an exciting culture
- Exciting world-changing opportunity - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on the world
- A driven, talented team that aims to make a large-scale impact through an innovative technology platform
The Climate Corporation - 13 months ago