- Certification Preferred
- 6-10 years of experience is required
- Customer service skills required
- Experience is preferred
- Good communication skills required
- Understanding of medical terminology required
Provides quality, technical, and administrative support to the Blood Bank Manager and Blood Bank Medical Director through collation, review and analysis of quality assurance data, data management, report preparations, assistance with quality assurance assignments, and collating data for reporting to Laboratory Management Performance Improvement, Blood Utitilization and Medical Executive Committees, and to the Hospital Quality Improvement Council. Special projects as assigned.
Primary responsibility of the quality assurance specialist for the blood bank will be dedicated to assessment and improvement of the quality functions of the department. The quality assurance specialist will also maintain competency in the technical requirements of the position.
Perform routine and specialized procedures, review and approve clinical test results for use in the diagnosis and treatment of patients in accordance with established protocol for a laboratory performing high complexity procedures as defined by the standards of the Clinical laboratory Improvement Act of 1988.
Supports the Mission of Trinity Health and Holy Cross Hospital.
Minimum licensure/certification required (if applicable):
1. Bachelor of Science degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology (Medical Technology), biological, chemical or related science; and satisfactory completion of a clinical laboratory educational rotation;
2. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics –and- successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Technologist program.
3. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry, one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, -and- one year of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and/or Clinical Microscopy within the last ten years. Clinical rotations or professional experience must be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist and a certified medical technologist.
4. At least 10 years verifiable experience in the clinical laboratory; experience with review of records (e.g. quality control, maintenance, etc.) to determine compliance, determining appropriate corrective action, and managing projects.
5. Current ASCP, AMT, or NCA certification as a Medical Technologist. Can consider previously certified Medical Technologists, who met the credentialing requirements by the Department of Health Education and Welfare (HEW certified MT). Certified Quality Auditor certification, SBB, or equivalent quality certification preferred
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
2-4 years experience working with database management and work processing programs, including data entry required. 2-4 years experience of statistics, quality control and CMS regulations to ensure departments adherence to Quality Assurance standards strongly preferred. Must possess knowledge of CAP, AABB, NCCLS, FDA, Joint Commission, CMS, and other state and federal requirements for accreditation, as they apply to quality assurance, continuing education and competency assessment, safety and reimbursement. Demonstrated knowledge of interpretation and implementation of regulatory standards. (All required). Able to index data to be retrieved in a timely and efficient manner. Must have ability to coordinate eyes and hands quickly and accurately. Ability to work in harmony with other personnel. Basic computer literacy. Demonstrate comprehension and command of oral, verbal and written English Language Skills.
Holy Cross Hospital of Maryland - 2 years ago