We are seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer to join our team.
At Control Group we believe that Quality Assurance starts when the project starts, not when the developers are finished. Quality Assurance Engineers are part of every project’s core team from beginning to end.
The Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for:
Participating in sprint planning meetings and daily standup meetings
Planning the testing strategies and methods for projects, customizing the testing as needed
Insuring overall excellence in all products we release
Our application development group works mostly in PHP5 with Yii, Ruby on Rails 3 (also JRuby), iOS, and Android. We also hack on Node, Flex, JS, Java, HTML5, Cinder, sensor-based, and physical computing platforms.
We work in a “ScrumBan” style, collaborate intensely with clients, and all act as full-suite product tinkerers— from quality control to coders to designers to product managers to DevOPs. We believe in TDD/BDD and we make sure our CI stays green. We’re obsessed with high quality and a great user experience. We’re looking for Quality Assurance Engineers who don’t want to just make sure it isn’t broken, but want to make sure it’s the best of its kind.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Success will be measured by:
- Test products to ensure that they meet requirements, conform to design specifications, and perform according to quality standards, including:
- Create, run and manage load, functional, and stress testing of new product features and products
- Regression testing of existing functionality
- Plan, write, execute, review, and update test plans, test cases, and scenarios to ensure that software meets or exceeds specified standards, development specifications, and client requirements
- All varieties of testing, including manual, automated, front-end, and back-end
- Report bugs and track status through a resolution system
- Build and maintain test tools and test applications to perform functional, load, and performance testing
- Work closely with other QA Engineers, Developers, Designers, DevOps, and Product Owners to ensure we deliver quality products to clients
- Act as a client and/or user advocate when appropriate and treat every project like it's your own. At Control Group, QA is not just about confirming that the user can use it, but also about making sure the user would want to use it
- Provide lower-cost, lower-risk, higher value, or other improving alternatives to proposed solutions
- Think strategically and share strategic insights with Product Owner, Scrum Master, and team
- Be awesome
Eligible candidates should possess more than a few of the following:
- Quality of products
- Contributions to testing tool suite
- Happiness of clients and partners
The job is NYC based, with minimal travel required (though we often have opportunities with large national and international clients).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Resumes with poor grammar, spelling, or punctuation will not be considered
- College degree. Computer Science, HCI, or Information Management are good, but not required
- 5+ years as a Quality Control professional, or 2+ years in Quality Control along with 3+ year in another technical postion (e.g., Sysadmin, Engineer, Architect, etc
- Demonstrable web, mobile, embedded, or physical installation project experience
- GitHub (or similar) account for code review of patches and projects
- A good reputation and references in prior engagements
- Experience with at least a few of the following: PHP & Yii; (J)Ruby & Rails, Python & Django, iOS, Cocoa, Android, HTML, CSS, JQuery, Flex, or Node.js
- Experience with automated testing tools such as XUnit, SoapUI, Selenium, Watij, Watir
- Understanding and appreciation of adatpive development methods (agile and lean)
- Experience with LINUX command-line environments (preferred)
- Superior organizational skills
- Strong analysis and autonomous problem discovery and solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail and a creative thinker
- Self-motivated (self-starter) and intellectually curious
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a dynamic environment, adjusting appropriately to changes to business, resource, or product priorities
There are three errors intentionally inserted into in this document. One of them is nitpicky and one is particularly hard to find if you don't know how to look. State what the errors are in your application.