Quality Engineer, NMC Aerospace
Esterline welcomes people who share our determination and high standards to join us in doing work that moves the world forward. We design, manufacture, and market highly engineered products and systems principally for the aerospace and defense markets. NMC Aerospace, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Esterline, is a leading manufacturing company of specialty fasteners and custom molding throughout the United States.
Title: Quality Engineer
Job Family: Quality
Reports to: Quality Manager
Works with: Operations, Engineering, Customer Service, Planning, HR
Location: Pomona, Ca
Type: Regular Exempt / Full-Time
Working with product manufacturing, provide quality guidance to assess, correct and maintain the product quality using documented methods.
Additional Duties: Implement, coordinate, contribute and assist with other projects as assigned, including team participation.
- Perform random mechanical & cosmetic audits of manufacturing (mold and secondary operations)
- Develop and maintain (revise) inspection diagrams / work instructions.
- Maintains files of engineering documentation and drawings.
- Perform Internal Quality Audits
- Perform First Article Inspections to include a complete dimensional layout as well as cosmetic (surface finish, etc.)
- Analyze Customer Complaints.
- Assist in identification, tracking and trending of Corrective and Preventive Actions to assure timely closure
- Perform root cause analysis, failure investigation. Determine root causes of quality issues
- Assist Quality Manager in developing annual quality goals and objectives
- Identify and apply Cost of Quality concepts, including cost categories, data collection methods and classification, and reporting and interpreting results
- Identify and define key elements of a training program, including conducting a needs analysis, developing curricula and materials, and determining the program's effectiveness
- Liaison with tool makers and engineering dept. as required.
- Issue Work Instructions and other engineering documents to shop floor.
- Establishes quality standards by studying product and customer requirements with other members of management and with operators, technicians and engineers.
- Establishes raw material standards by studying manufacturing and engineering requirements; conferring and negotiating with suppliers; devising test methods and procedures.
- Performs any other duties, tasks or special projects as directed.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
- Understand and operate by Esterline’s ethics and business conduct policies.
- Read / interpret complex aerospace drawings and specifications.
- Work within AS9102 First Article Inspection requirements to include a complete dimensional layout as well as cosmetic (surface finish, etc.). Review and interpret specifications and certifications associated with drawing requirements.
- Perform tensile testing to blue-print / specification requirements
- Familiarity with calibration of mechanical inspection equipment
- Perform torque testing to specification / drawing / work instructions.
- Able to use environmental chambers (program) for acceptance / qualification testing
- ISO 9000 / 2000 and or AS9100 environment working knowledge.
- Able to conduct internal / external audits within the parameters of AS9100 or ISO 9000.
- B.A. or B.S. degree and 5 years of industry experience as a quality engineer.
- 5 years minimum experience working in a mechanical inspection environment preferably in an aerospace environment.
- Proficient use of mechanical inspection equipment to include hand tools (micrometers, calipers, height gages, surface plate, etc.,) to include the use of the ROI and the associated software.
- Experience with Tensile Testing to blue print/specification requirements using Instron Tester with Bluehill software. Or Dillon or equivalent mechanical tensile test equipment.
- Experience using a Mitutoyo CMM design machine.
- Six Sigma certified.
- Solidworks CAD modeling and drawing creation.
- Ability to work independently (limited supervision) on quality related projects
- Good communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications to include Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Esterline Technologies - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard