Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defence systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defence systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is seeking a
Quality Engineering Man
ager. The Quality Engineering Manager will manage the Quality Engineering group; participates in the Returned Material Authorization (RMA) process flow to ensure timely Quality Engineering analysis, corrective action and rework of RMA’s; establish, analyze and improve RMA process to reduce customer and end user failures; develops, implements, and maintains technical quality assurance and control systems and activities. Defines and specifies the implementation of standards, methods, and procedures for inspecting, testing, and evaluating the precision, accuracy, and reliability of company products. Participates in the reviewing of engineering bids and designs to contribute quality requirements and considerations and to provide for improved transfer of engineering product to Production; collaborate with product support areas in gathering and analyzing data. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function; assures that we internally audit all of our major processes needed to maintain our certifications and status with customers and government agencies including implementing corrective actions when needed. Has intense focus on customer satisfaction. Drives continuous improvement in internal and external quality metrics and performance. Leads organization on path to World Class.
- Plan, assign, coordinate and review the work of Quality Assurance Engineers and/or supervisors. Adhere to established company policies and procedures or other guidelines as they relate to assigned area.
- Drive proactive continuous improvement in both Value Stream (internal) and customer (external) quality performance. Ensure organization has effective Root Cause Problem Solving (RCPS) activities and successful identification of systemic issues and corrective actions.
- Supervise, coordinate and perform a variety of administrative staff work such as: scheduling, maintaining records, responding to requests for information or services; performing related administrative planning and research activities; preparing correspondence, reports, statistical information, developing policies, procedures and/or training methods.
- Complete performance evaluations; make hiring recommendations and fill staff vacancies as needed, recommends disciplinary actions; approve vacations and time off; prepare work schedules and assignments; supervise the activities of assigned personnel; monitor reports and record keeping activities filed by assigned personnel for completeness, accuracy and adherence to policy and procedure guidelines; instructs staff in departmental policies and techniques and provides training.
- Measure, monitor and improve Return Material Authorization processes to ensure established company goals are met.
- Assure staff will accurately generate failure analysis reports, failure analysis trend reports and associated corrective actions.
- Train staff to perform analysis of electrical and mechanical characteristics of systems and/or integrated circuits, components, sub-components and systems to determine the cause of failure and assure corrective action closure.
- Assist staff in analyzing data from company’s databases for trends and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Collaborate in Corrective Action Board meetings; conduct RMA related meetings to include Internal Delid Failures; partake in or lead internal audits; communicate a wide variety of information to internal and external customer, such as status, failure analysis results.
- Collaborate well with other Cobham Division Teams, other departments and Management.
- Train staff members to participate in product development by joining teams, assuring the details are planned for to assure product producibility, reliability and compliance to customer requirements.
- Participate in Supply Chain partnerships, activities, improvements and process controls.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
- Ensure 5S is adhered to and sustained within work area.
- Coordinate, schedule and facilitate as applicable Lean/Six Sigma activities for own work area as well as for other areas to enhance cross-functional problems solving; utilize Company tool champions as appropriate for more significant lean events.
- Assist those who develop, track and report visual metrics, including KPI’s for area; react to metrics by identifying and solving problems, making improvements and advancing process control.
- Develop and support teams that make suggestions, take initiative and actively implement improvements and instill those characteristics in the staff.
- Collaborate in team meeting and activities, including SET team support as appropriate.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience within a manufacturing environment including a minimum of four years within quality assurance .
- Minimum of one year experience with direct reports within a Manufacturing organization.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree required; preferably within Engineering.
- Hands on experience with and strong understanding of the QMS system and methods to be compliant to and to improve the system.
- Solid understanding of ISO 9001 and hands on experience with SPC.
- Knowledge or ability to quickly learn the processes used to produce product, processes used in the development of product and the analytical use of data to take corrective and preventive actions to improve the products and processes.
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain secret clearance; which requires US Citizenship.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population (M/F/D/V). See all of our latest opportunities at
- Six Sigma certification.
- Experience with hands-on inspection of microwave products.
- Experience with AS 9100 and MIL-PRF-38534 requirements and audits.
or follow us on LinkedIn.
Engineering - Quality
Cobham Microwave Electronics San Diego
Cobham - 10 months ago
In the aerospace and defense industries Cobham is all over the map. Serving customers in more than a hundred countries, Cobham provides...