Required Education and Experience:
- BS or BA Degree in IS or related business field required
- Minimum of 7 years experience providing integrated, technical solutions
- Minimum of 7 years experience providing customer-focused solutions
- Minimum of 3 years experience managing technical resources in a fast paced information services environment is required
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills is required
- Consulting experience is a plus
- MBA a plus
- Healthcare experience is a plus
None required; PMP, ITIL or Six Sigma a plus
Additional Technical Requirements:
and maintenance of mission-critical applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Systems Development Life Cycle.
- Experience supporting applications running on the following environments: , Unix, Windows, Oracle, SQLServer
- Project management experience is a plus
- Requires proven communication skills, problem-solving skills and knowledge of best practices to guide the team on issues related to the design, development, deployment
- Knowledge of automated software and system management tools.
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures, project lifecycle models, etc.
- Knowledge of database design and file management techniques preferred
Job Summary -
The Manager of Applications provides management oversight to the planning, development, implementation and ongoing support of a specified portfolio of information technology applications in alignment and collaboration with the specified business owners.
Job Responsibilities -
- Establishes team vision, mission, yearly operational goals and tactical plans in alignment with key customers, IS and the organization as a whole.
- Facilitates evaluation of proposed work for the applications team.
- Leads application support functions and develops processes to ensure system reliability, stability, data integrity and recoverability.
- Establishes service level agreements with customers and operational level agreements with other IS service units.
- Ensures that processes are in place to identify and resolve application problems.
- Coordinates activities of the support team to maintain service levels and resolve issues.
- Creates and communicates metrics against support goals.
- Manages work request intake, scoping and scheduling.
Application Life Cycle Management:
- Develops documented procedures for management of systems and environments. Implements and enforces procedural standards.
- Maintains system documentation for current technical environment and system configuration.
- Manages the development and deployment of new applications, systems software, and/or enhancements to existing applications within the defined portfolio.
- Reviews and analyzes existing application effectiveness and efficiency, and develops strategies for improving or leveraging these systems.
- Ensures that processes exist and are used to design, develop and install enhancements and patches/upgrades to systems and application software per the vendor’s recommendations and in line with CHOP requirements.
- Communicates regularly with product vendors to understand roadmap and plan necessary adjustments to CHOP strategy in alignment with the business owners.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends software applications and application development tools for purchase and deployment to meet IS and organizational goals including conducting feasibility studies within defined portfolio.
- Ensures that projects meet business requirements and goals, and fulfill end-user requirements.
- Provides technical leadership to project managers and team members working projects.
- Supports CHOP's project management methodology.
- Participates in the software development life cycle including but not limited to key sign-offs for design reviews, code reviews, and implementation planning.
- Efficiently manages resource allocations to projects.
- Enforces IT best practices in quality assurance and change management.
- Supports and facilitates change management processes necessary to ensure segregation of duties, quality testing, and auditable promotion of changes through the development, QA and production infrastructure environments.
- Manages budget for assigned cost center.
- Participates in the annual IT planning and budgeting processes for project, support, and maintenance activities.
- Develops trusting customer relationships to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Participates in steering committees and programs to educate and inform CHOP management and business users of system capabilities. Leverages these groups to understand requirements.
Vendor and Contract Management:
- Efficiently manages resource allocations to projects, application maintenance, and work requests based on service level agreements and organization priorities.
- Effectively leads, manages, motivates and technically evaluates the team in achieving their goals.
- Promotes the development and productivity of individual group members.
- Develops a culture of inter-group and inter-departmental teamwork with frequent communication.
- Monitors resource work efforts, performs resource capacity planning, assigns work to resources, estimates new resource needs, justifies and requests resources.
- Performs recruitment and hiring. Performs consultant selection and consultant management.
- Implements cross-training plans, sharing knowledge across the team.
- Reviews all new contracts and contract renewals for supported products.
- Participates in contract term and pricing negotiations. Tracks renewal dates, and engages in contract re-negotiation.
- Ensures that statements of work are thorough, complete and in compliance with CHOP SOW standards.
- Ensures vendor is providing services as stipulated in our maintenance and service contract.
- Ensures tracking of application licensing.
Children's Hospital Philadelphia - 17 months ago