E Source is seeking a Quantitative Analyst to lead or assist in conducting primary market research studies and to analyze large sets of data. This includes working collaboratively on survey instrument design, data collection, cleansing, and analysis, as well as communicating the results in written reports and presentations.
The audience is E Source members, consisting of managers at hundreds of electric and gas utilities and large businesses across North America , who depend on E Source for unbiased, independent market intelligence that focuses on how utilities understand and interact with their own customer base. This interaction can include normal customer service as well as rate or pricing options, value-added services, and energy-efficiency programs. To this end, E Source provides substantial amounts of primary and secondary market research information to utilities in various formats.
The Quantitative Analyst will lead or assist in several stages of primary and secondary market research projects, including:
- Helping to create survey instruments and critically analyzing and interpreting the survey data in ways that will help utilities better understand, communicate with, and serve their retail energy customers
- Helping to develop and implement market research studies, including study design and analysis planning
- Fielding surveys and assisting with evaluating, hiring, and managing outside market research firms to conduct surveys
- Cleansing data from outside sources to prepare it for analysis
- Extracting the maximum amount of information possible from survey results and external data and deciding what information is most actionable for our audience
- Employing advanced analytics such as regression analysis
- Conducting market segmentation
The ideal candidate will possess (in order of importance) expert knowledge of data analysis with Excel and SPSS (including statistical analysis), expert knowledge of market research techniques, curiosity about the energy industry; and excellent analytical skills and writing abilities.
- Manage or assist with primary market research projects, including leveraging the work of internal collaborators and subcontractors
- Own the quality assurance process and outcomes for the data that inform the research and analysis that E Source presents to its clients
- Be an internal go-to person on data analytics, and have the initiative to help other employees understand data trends and gather new insights from the data we possess
- Work closely with colleagues who provide written analysis on trends to our clients, and help these colleagues craft messages and identify important lessons from our data
- Develop a sophisticated understanding of retail energy markets and utility customers
- Cultivate relationships with clients and data sources
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, or related field requiring quantitative data analysis; graduate degree is preferred
- Four or more years of relevant industry or professional experience
- Demonstrated ability in survey design with a solid understanding of standard statistical tools and methods used in data analysis (background in quantitative market research is a major bonus)
- Power user status in Microsoft Excel and SPSS—the ability to be creative in finding sophisticated solutions in Excel for data manipulation problems will be tested as part of the interview process
- Strong project management skills
- Exceptional quantitative research and analysis skills
- Proficiency in standard business software (Microsoft Office Suite), particularly Excel (including pivot tables) and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macros