MakerBot is looking for someone to help us lead the Research & Development (R&D) team(s) through the process of discovery and the creation of innovative and compelling products. This includes desktop 3D printers, Digitizers and components. You will work with outside labs, universities and the User Experience team to meet the future plans of MakerBot's Product Roadmap. As part of this role, you will develop a team that can quickly take ideas and transform them from concepts to workable solutions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Leading R&D team(s); Mechanical, Electrical, Software and Materials.
- Responsible for innovationing based on Product Roadmap
- Supporting creation of cross-functional project plan to successfully deliver new product, process and innovative solutions
- Effective planning, scheduling, execution, and documentation of technical aspects of R&D
- Managing outside vendors, labs and partnerships
- Developing concept models and functional prototypes
- Developing R&D lab space, equipment, safety program and training
- Developing budget(s), metrics and reporting
- Preparing presentations and demonstrations for Executive Team
- Developing / participating in design of experiments, life testing, etc.
- Supporting the definition of scope, project goals, and success criteria
- Clearly communicating project status, risks, and scope creep
- Testing new components, systems and materials for manufacturability impact on current and future products
- Master's Degree: Engineering discipline
- Demonstrated ability to be hands on, work hard and hustle
- Knowledge of design engineering, particularly in electro-mechanical or consumer products
- Experience in a consumer products research & development function a plus
- Experience with development or manufacture of printers, plotters or electronic equipment
- Background in commercialization of new products with CPG company a strong plus
- Impeccable communication skills
- Ability to interact with a wide range of users
- Familiarity with 3D printing or MakerBot
- Project work with Electro-Mechanical devices
Founded in 2009, Brooklyn-based MakerBot has grown to be a global leader in desktop 3D printing. MakerBot had 16 percent market share of all 3D printers (industrial and personal) made from 2009 to the end of 2011. In 2011, MakerBot had 21.6 percent market share. In 2012, MakerBot estimates that it now has a 25 percent market share of the 3D printer market. There are more than 15,000 MakerBot Desktop 3D Printers in use by engineers, designers, researchers, and people who just like to make things. The MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer has been named Popular Mechanics “Overall Winner” for best 3D printer and was honored as one of Time Magazine's Best Inventions of 2012. In addition, MakerBot was named “Best Emerging Tech” at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, won Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award, the Popular Science Product of the Year, and recently was awarded the Fast Company 2012 Innovation by Design Award as well as being named by Fast Company as “One of the World's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics.” And MakerBot was recently awarded a TechCrunch Crunchies Award for best hardware start-up. The company has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Economist, Wired, The Colbert Report, Fast Company, Engadget, Make: Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time.com, IEEE Spectrum, CNN, Financial Times, NPR, Vogue Italia and many others.
Makerbot Industries - 18 months ago
What’s it like to work at MakerBot?
Are you interested in joining a collaborative, creative environment where innovation and hard...