Division: Biological Assessment
Function: Product Evaluation
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: R&D Scientist 1,2, or 3
Job ID: 3429
Role purpose :
- Responsible for catalyzing the transformation of field biology data into knowledge with an emphasis on statistical design and analysis. Supports field biology statistical analysis applications, processes and training.
- Use Syngenta knowledge management systems to provide information to internal and external customers in the form of data searches, queries, summaries, statistical analyses and reports.
- Provide appropriate statistical analyses of product performance data for business needs.
- Engage in and contribute to the Global R&D Statistics Network.
- Support business decisions by recommending product promotion candidates and use directions, and by highlighting Syngenta's competitive advantage.
- Serve as a resource for scientific information based on data and experience.
- Work to continuously improve systems for field information data capture, storage, and retrieval.
- Provide training and support to facilitate high quality applied statistical analyses.
- Generate innovative solutions in dealing with work problems and opportunities.
- Serve on teams for development and implementation of new applications.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: Knowledge, experience & capabilities:
Experience or training in an agriculture-related discipline (Agronomy, Entomology, Plant Pathology, Nematology, Weed Science). Statistics education and experience required. Strong planning, organizing, and problem solving skills. Exceptional oral, written, communication and computer application skills. Ability to develop technical skills in multiple disciplines.
Critical knowledge: :
- An M.S. degree minimum with a Ph.D. preferred in an agriculture-related field. Additional degree, certification or significant coursework required in statistics.
- Use of statistics to analyze research results
- Use of sound statistical design principles to develop experimental protocols
- Experience with the process of using research to answer biological questions
- Experience with standardizing and summarizing biological data
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Can assess & resolve differences in scientific and statistical interpretation
- Ability to influence others and gain support for methodology recommendations
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new skills
- Ability to simplify and see trends in complex information and data
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Teamwork skills
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Customer-Focus required to support field researchers, business units and global teams.
- High communication and organizational skills – job requires prioritization of requests from multiple customers.
- Challenge the status quo and push boundaries.
- Contribute to continuously improving quality of statistics in analyses.
- Query data using available tools and create technical summaries.
- Train field scientists on statistics tools and best analytical practices.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Travel requirements – 15%.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...