Who is SymphonyIRI?
Founded in 1979 as Information Resources, Inc. ( IRI), SymphonyIRI is the world’s leading provider of enterprise market information solutions and services, empowering its clients to grow their business profitably in a complex marketplace. Driving the transformation of the consumer packaged goods ( CPG), retail, and healthcare industries, only SymphonyIRI provides a unique combination of real-time market content, advanced analytics, enterprise performance management software and professional services.
What does SymphonyIRI do, and who do we serve?
At Symphony IRI, we work with over 95% of the Fortune Global 500 in CPG and retail, providing them with:
- Market, consumer and shopper intelligence
- Retail Tracking information
- Online and offline marketing ROI strategy and effectiveness
- Predictive analytics and modeling
- Pricing, trade promotion and brand portfolio maximization
- Store level and merchandising insights
- Strategic consulting and thought leadership
What will I do as the Retail Client Solutions Principal?
The Principal will lead the development, execution and engagement, for a portfolio of domestic retailers, which will include strategy, insights and P&L accountability. In addition, the incumbent will be chartered with creating indispensable partnerships with top retailers via a joint business planning process to include:
· The development of robust data assets that support our retail strategy including Perishables, RCH, private label masking, syndicated convenience channel transaction database, mobile panel, and emerging channels
· Creation and delivery of differentiated thought leadership and solutions for Ecommerce, Supply Chain, Big Data, and Changing Shopper Dynamics
· Launch and leverage Quarterly Retail Thumbnail Initiatives
· Develop a brilliant execution blueprint for winning in-store
The Principal will b e the relationship owner/liaison between manufacturers and our retail clients. It will be equally as important to build a winning and sustainable cross functional approach to deliver retail thought leadership through continuous res earch and the implementation of global best practices. It will be essential to build credibility through deep knowledge of the retail domain ( Food, Drug, Mass, and Convenient) and the idiosyncrasies therein to understand critical client issues. The Principal must have a strong understanding of the contemporary issues and needs facing retailers in the execution areas of shopper strategy, store experience, promotion and merchandising and trade partner collaboration.
Why should I apply?
The Principal will have the capability to change the course of SymphonyIRI’s relationship with retailers and act as a passionate advocate for the client in advancing solutions that will benefit the client’s long-term business to maximize Shareholder Value. The Principal will advocate for the client to identify, prioritize and conceptualize actionable solutions based on broader business issues and collaborate cross-functionally to build and deliver solutions that exceed client expectations and are profitable to SymphonyIRI.
The following key skill sets are critical to success for the Principal:
· Excels at assessing the strategic impact of decisions, both short and long term
· Recognizes and develops sustainable revenue creation with Clients, Retailers and SymphonyIRI
· Understands the Clients/Retailers decision making process; considers impact of actions when making recommendations
· Connects the Clients/Retailers strategy to SymphonyIRI’s products and solutions in a way that creates and drives revenue for both
· Develops a holistic, objective driven shared business plan that creates value and drives revenue for both the client/retailer and SymphonyIRI
· Measures results of business planning so that value is captured and communicated
· Identifies opportunities and threats with the client/retailer.
· Executes plans with the Client/Retailer effectively and efficiently while fully aligned to the objectives of SymphonyIRI
· Focuses on the key elements of a plan to ensure execution, avoiding non-valued effort
· Understands the resource requirements to bring plans to life
Negotiating and Reaching Agreement
· Sells, persuades and secures decisions to commercialize value for SymphonyIRI, Clients/Retailers, Thought Leaders and Influencers.
· Negotiates successfully with the Client/Retailer as necessary
· Plans and carries out negotiations to achieve required business results
· Expresses ideas and points of view in written documents in a clear, well structured, and concise manner.
· Leverages communication to convey messages effectively in a variety of settings, within SymphonyIRI and externally.
· Listens well, seeks to obtain and confirm information before acting
Market, Shopper and Influencer Analytics
· Uses SymphonyIRI’s unique Shopper, Influencer and Analytics Insights to create profitable sales growth for both the Client/Retailer and SymphonyIRI
· Converts SymphonyIRI insights into actionable recommendations that deliver specific value – meeting Client/Retailer needs and maximizing value for SymphonyIRI
People Leadership :
· Builds capability within the organization; sets high standards of performance for self and team; deals effectively in high stress situations; self motivated; understands need for change and effectively manages it
· Informs and inspires others about SymphonyIRI vision and mission in order to promote understanding, elevate engagement and build loyalty with all team members
· Builds a high performing team through actively recruiting and developing talent
· Rewards high performance and coaches others in improving or eliminating underperformance
What are the qualifications for the Principal & Commercial Leader role?
In addition to the above skills set, the ideal candidate must possess the following:
· 10-15 years of progressive business experience with a strong understanding of manufacturer/retailer issues having worked in one or more of the environments below:
o Retailer ( any channel)
o Consumer Packaged Goods
· Ability to develop and execute retailer relationship strategies and architect business proposals leveraging a cross functional team of service line experts by integrating SymphonyIRI’s services and solutions and aligning them with retailer-specific business needs
· Demonstrated ability driving C-level engagements across the broad spectrum of retail core issues ( i.e. retail execution, merchandising, category management, marketing, etc.)
· Proven experience maintaining manufacturer’s and retailer’s perspective in mind at all times; able to think through multiple divergent paths and understand the implications on the client and SymphonyIRI Group
· A track record of creating and leveraging innovative solutions for the retailer with a focus on shopper execution and manufacturer/retailer collaboration
· General management and P&L responsibility equal to or larger than $50M with a track record of exponential revenue and profit growth through the achievement of short- and long-term objectives
· Undergraduate degree required; Advanced degree preferred