Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers, Colorado's largest and most comprehensive provider of cancer care has an exciting opportunity for a PRN Registered Nurse with infusion experience to work at our Midtown office.
This position would cover for another employee while on maternity leave. This position will cover both infusion and clinician duties.
This position offers an excellent opportunity to get your foot in the door with an outstanding organization.
Provides professional nursing care for patients following established standards and practices. Demonstrates knowledge of age specific differences in the patient population including late adolescence, adulthood, middle age, and the elderly. This includes physiological, psychological, and developmental differences unique to each group. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities of Registered Nurse includes:
- Mixes and administers chemotherapy, hydration and other medications under the direction and supervision of a physician. Assists physician with exams and procedures. Maintains efficient and appropriate patient flow in and out of exam rooms.
- Maintains all exam room disinfection protocols. Assesses patients for changes in condition, including but not limited to abnormal labs, x-rays, scans, drug reactions and initiates appropriate action.
- Maintains knowledge of reimbursement procedures. Completes all chemotherapy charge forms. Assures pre-authorization and appropriate consent forms are obtained prior to administration of therapies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of ambulatory infusion pump use and maintenance, cleaning pumps after use, and proper documentation of pump usage. Facilitates dose modification by assessing patient, assessing labs, consulting protocol or treatment plan, calculating dose, and consulting physician regarding dosage modifications, problems, and symptom management.
- Performs venipuncture, accesses implanted ports and maintains central lines catheter devices.
- Administers all medications/blood products using correct medication/blood product, dosage/amount, route, time and technique. Displays appropriate technical skills for the administration of chemotherapy, medications and blood products, to include, but not limited to: venipuncture, central line access and infusion devices.
- Programs portable infusion pumps for continuous drug delivery and provides instruction to the patient and/or caregiver in the use of the pump at home.
- Documents nursing assessments, patient teaching and fluid and medication administration in the patient chart. Communicates all pertinent information and any interventions to the physician. Assures nursing charges are accurate and complete on patient fee slips.
- Acts as a resource person to the medical assistants. Triages patient phone calls as needed and documents relevant information in the patient's chart.
- Assesses patient/family needs and provides teaching and other instructional material. Demonstrates awareness of community resources available to patients and assists with referrals if necessary. Manages patient medication refill requests from the pharmacy telephone line and records the information in the patient chart.
- Maintains a clean work environment and restocks the supply area as needed. Provides nursing coverage for the satellite offices as needed.
- Follows OSHA guidelines when handling cytotoxic agents, biohazardous waste and any other material potentially infected with a blood borne pathogen.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintain professional affiliations. Maintains patient confidentiality.
Requirements for Registered Nurse includes:
- Graduate from an accredited program for professional nursing education, BSN preferred.
- Years of experience necessary for each level.
- RN I - Requires 0-3 years experience
- RN II - Minimum of three years nursing experience
- RN III - Minimum of seven years nursing experience.
- Experience in an oncology environment is required.
- Current or pending oncology certification preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of the purpose and use of medications in the treatment of cancer.
- RN state license and current registration with the State Board of Nursing in practicing state.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Must maintain continuing education requirements.
- Highly motivated with excellent organizational skills.
- Positive, upbeat, professional personality.
All candidates are required to pass a drug screening and background check prior to hire.
US Oncology - 11 months ago