Good Shepherd Services |
, a leading NYC non-profit committed to the success of young people and families, is currently seeking a Street Outreach Worker, for our GSS Street Outreach Program (SOP) in Manhattan.
The Relief Worker is responsible for conducting street outreach, providing on the spot referrals, and supporting and providing resources to youth and young adults who are homeless, runaway, and/or at high risk of becoming homeless and in need of case management, immediate shelter, meals, employment, and medical and or mental health services through the Good Shepherd Services (GSS) SOP.
- Provide targeted outreach to the communities of East Harlem in Manhattan and the South Bronx, and other communities as requested, in no less than a team of two, to identify homeless, runaway and at risk youth and young adults through street and site based outreach;
- Use engagement techniques to build a rapport with youth and young adults encountered;
- Provide age appropriate interaction with homeless youth and young adults encountered and adhere to all agency guidelines and ethics regarding treatment of youth and services;
- Screen for basic needs; provide resources, referrals to service agencies, shelter and drop in centers;
- Provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Provide psycho-education and prevention to homeless, runaway and at risk youth and young adults on various topics;
- Provide assistance in locating safe housing – emergency, transitional and permanent;
- Maintain appropriate and relevant documentation of all contacts, efforts and events;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree required; 2 years experience in working with the runaway and or homeless youth/young adult population, direct experience with street outreach desirable.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to establish working relationships with participants in need of supportive services.
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Computer literate -- Knowledge of computer assessment tools, Data Base systems and Windows operating systems. Proficient in Excel and Word.
- Constant traveling, driving; must be able to lift 25lbs, extreme standing, walking, bending, lifting.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to use public transportation to travel throughout New York City.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
idealist.org - 18 months ago