Perform training and equipment engineering functions in support of Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) maintenance, modifications, and new vehicle procurement programs. Supervise and administer Rail Vehicle Maintenance Apprenticeship and recurrent training programs.
Ensure a commitment to safety through effective leadership, role modeling and implementing practices that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value and a priority in all aspects of work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Evaluate the electrical, mechanical and electronic design of Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) to determine performance reliability and maintainability.
2. Prepare training materials such as course outlines, instruction manuals, student workbooks, tests, etc., for all aspects of rail maintenance training. Coordinate, administer, and supervise Apprentices in the Light Rail Vehicle Maintenance Apprenticeship program.
3. Evaluate test equipment and electrical, mechanical, and electronic control systems for transportation equipment to determine performance reliability and maintainability.
4. Conduct classroom and on-the-job training sessions for recurrent journeymen requirements and the initial needs of apprentice maintenance personnel.
5. Develop modifications to LRVs and LRV subsystems to improve performance, maintainability and reliability.
6. Administer certification/qualification testing and conduct evaluations.
7. Provide information and/or training for new equipment or maintenance procedures. Provide supervision and instruction to apprentices and journeymen on maintenance activities.
8. Develop rail vehicle quality assurance techniques, maintenance methods (preventive and corrective), and test procedures for LRV systems and equipment. Specify, design and develop test equipment and instrumentation. Assist in the performance of LRV and equipment acceptance testing.
9. Write technical reports, analyses, procedures, and specifications. Record test results, and write vendor correspondence. Assist in updating technical drawings, repair manuals, and electrical schematics.
10. Assist the Capital Projects Division in new LRV procurement support, including review of LRV manufacturer's design submittals, fabrication inspection, and vehicle acceptance testing.
Associates degree in Electronics, Electrical Technology, Mechanical, or related discipline.
Three years of experience in the field of LRV Maintenance.
One year of supervisory or training experience within a formal training environment.
Experience in combined union and non-union organization required.
Ability to acquire Oregon or Washington Class A Driver's License (CDL) with air brake endorsement.
Intermediate skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, database applications and other software applications.
Or any equivalent combination of training or experience.
1. Knowledge of LRV self-diagnostic software and other related software.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of electrical, mechanical and electronic engineering principles and practices.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of electrical engineering fundamentals such as circuits, electromagnetic, rotating machinery, and hydraulics.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of rail transit vehicle technology, standards, fabrication and maintenance practices.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of Standard Operating Procedures and safety requirements.
6. Ability to independently develop engineering designs, preventative maintenance techniques and procedures for equipment maintenance and modifications.
7. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
8. Ability to read, interpret, and prepare engineering plans, specifications, drawings and analyze quantitative data for conclusions. Ability to develop and interpret technical specifications, contract language, and training materials.
9. Demonstrated ability to conduct effective training in classroom environment and on the job.
10. Ability to organize, conduct, and document test and inspection programs. Ability to effectively use oscilloscopes, chart recorders, data acquisition computers, and other similar test equipment.
11. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
12. Ability to operate personal computer systems including Word, Excel and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency to accurately keyboard (type).
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA:
Grade 13, Exempt, Non-Union.
Selection Process – Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review/Resume & Cover Letter
2. Panel Interview
3. References & Degree Verification
It is your responsibility, and to your benefit, to describe in detail how your education, training and work experience meet the requirements of the position for which you are applying. If applicable, please provide at least ten years of your work history, including any volunteer and internship experience you may have. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and letters of recommendation with your application.
Online applications are permitted five attachments; however each attachment is limited to 5MB. Please include your attachments in the "Resume Attachment" section (please try to combine documents as much as possible). A second option for attaching multiple documents is to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will attach them to your online application. You may also fax your materials to 503-962-3477 or 503-962-7440. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Resumes will not be considered in lieu of a completed application.
To apply, please visit our website at http://trimet.org/careers
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we currently only contact applicants who are highly qualified and most closely match our job requirements.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and submit supporting documentation with your application by the closing date of this recruitment. Documentation must be attached to your application.
Persons needing an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process should contact TriMet Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 503-962-5811. A minimum of two workdays notice prior to the need for accommodation is required.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including the elderly and persons with disabilities.
TriMet - 18 months ago