Percent Time: 100% Type of Position Specified Term: A staff member may be appointed to term status for a specific term not to exceed three years in order to accomplish a specific purpose or when the duration of funding is limited or unknown. Duties:
This position arises as part of ongoing efforts to study the genetic and epigenetic basis of bipolar disorder and major depression.
The research assistant will be responsible for performing molecular genetic laboratory research on genomic DNA samples, RNA samples, and tissue samples from human subjects and model organisms. Techniques that will be employed include:
In addition, the research assistant will be responsible for maintaining the lab. Responsibilities in this area will include:
- gene expression assays
- Sanger sequencing and next generation sequencing
- bisulfite pyrosequencing
- tissue culture and DNA extraction
- sample management
- purchasing items for the lab, such as equipment, reagents, and supplies
- ensuring proper maintenance of lab equipment
- maintaining our extensive collection of DNA samples and the sample databases
- overseeing the distribution of incoming and outgoing biological samples
- maintaining detailed and accurate lab protocols and records
- maintaining detailed and accurate notes of experimental results
- instructing students and other less experienced laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and techniques
- assisting graduate students and postdoctoral fellows with their experiments
- maintaining safety protocols and overseeing safety inspections
Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences or equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience such that one can perform research in genetics and epigenetics. Experience Required:
Requires a high degree of attention to detail and a high level of organizational skills.
Requires familiarity with molecular biology approaches through academic coursework and through molecular biology lab experience.
Requires excellent written and oral communication skills.
Requires experience working with electronic databases and spreadsheets
Requires experience with routine lab maintenance tasks, such as maintaining lab equipment
Highly Desirable Qualifications
Experience with molecular genetics lab techniques, such as:
Experience working with large sample sizes.
- DNA sequencing
- Gene expression assays
- DNA extraction
- Tissue culture
Familiarity with University of Iowa policies and procedures.
Experience training lab personnel and/or students.
The University of Iowa - 19 months ago