Research at The Harris Orthopedic Laboratory (HOL) at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) comprises the development of polymeric and hybrid materials for repairing early cartilage defects, tissue engineering for joint resurfacing and joint replacement. A highly motivated individual is needed to support the development of these materials, including the preparation, manipulation and evaluation of UHMWPE for development of synthetic joint bearing surfaces for joint replacements. Candidates will be expected to independently perform experimental work, maintain accurate records, conduct basic quantitative analysis, report experimental work to supervisor, present procedures and results to laboratory members and at conferences when appropriate. This position is ideal for candidates interested in the medical application of basic research, and is a great opportunity for those who want to gain some experience before continuing their education in graduate or medical school .
Specific functions as a technical specialist for preparing and characterizing UHMWPE blends for special and advanced applications
· Preparing polymer blends with additives
· Consolidation of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) by compression molding and the development of appropriate molding methods for different blends
· Radiation treatment of polymers
· Mechanical and fatigue testing of processed polymers
· Pin-on-flat wear testing of processed polymers
· Thermal characterization of processed polymers
· Physicochemical characterization of processed polymers
· Physical setup and performance of specialized polymer preparation methods
General laboratory functions as a team-member
· Assembly and operation of testing apparatus to perform ordinary or special tests
· Responsible for the management of her time between several projects
· Participates in the design of experimental protocols
· Organizes and accurately maintains written records of experimental procedures and generated data
· Generates and compiles experimental information/results in graphs, charts, and reports.
· Prepares written and/or verbal reports for supervisor and/or senior research personnel.
· Collaborates with supervisor in developing research methodologies within the parameters of experimental protocols and research objectives to allow quantitative and qualitative evaluation and interpretation of data obtained.
· Collaborates with supervisor in writing and editing material for publication; may present papers or appear as principal or secondary author in publications
§ BS/MS in science and/or engineering, preferably specialized knowledge in polymeric materials
§ Outstanding new graduates with non-course based lab experience may also be considered. Familiarity with the operation of standard lab equipment is required. Prior experience in polymer preparation, characterization and testing are preferred. Candidate will need excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and faculty. Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to work independently are essential.
§ • Must be self-motivated and able to work independently under supervision
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Word, Power point, Excel, and Internet searches
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical skills to problem solve effectively
• Is knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Qualifications: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or Materials Science or related field required, Master’s degree will be considered. Other science or engineering degrees may be considered with appropriate experience.
Candidate should have at least one year of non-course based laboratory research experience, preferably in the context of an independent project.
· Laboratory setting: General laboratory setting with benches to do general wet and dry laboratory work such as preparing solutions, blends, etc. Also specialized polymer processing equipment such as compression presses, injection molders etc. Specialized testing equipment such as compression or tensile testers. Storage facilities at varying temperature (-80°C, -20°C, -4°C, 2-8°C), varying oxygen pressure. Processing facilities such as electron beam or gamma irradiation treatment.
Massachusetts General Hospital - 17 months ago