Intellectual Ventures ("IV") is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world's most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
Intellectual Ventures will accelerate innovation in the multi-billion dollar radio-frequency (RF) communications market through commercializing IV’s Metamaterials Surface Antenna Technology (or “MSA-T”) inventions and inventor partnerships. Metamaterials are synthetic materials engineered to have electromagnetic and other characteristics not found in nature, and MSA-T is the first of a new class of antenna products anticipated from IV’s extensive Metamaterials Invention Portfolio. MSA-T enables ground breaking high-speed communications capabilities to a diverse range of existing and potential customers in using electronically steered beams in a lightweight no-moving-parts configuration – and at a significant cost and weight reduction over existing technologies. IV’s newly formed Metamaterials Commercialization Center (MCC) leads Research and Development efforts within the MSAT space, working hand-in-hand with market and business development leadership at IV. Initial applications are anticipated in transportation, oil & gas, maritime, avionics, military, disaster recovery, and homeland security opportunities markets.
The Invention Science Fund (ISF) within Intellectual Ventures TM (IV), is hiring a RF Antenna Engineer to support one of its technology spin-out efforts.
ISF’s Metamaterials Commercialization Center (MCC) ( www.metamaterialscenter.com ) accelerates innovation in multi-billion dollar markets through commercializing its metamaterials inventions. Metamaterials are synthetic materials engineered to have electromagnetic properties not found in nature, and can be used to design unprecedented devices. IV has demonstrated that metamaterials can be used to create a new class of electrically reconfigurable antennas, a proprietary technology platform known as Metamaterials Surface Antenna Technology (MSA-T). MSA-T enables high-speed beam reconfiguration capabilities similar to a classical phased-array at drastically reduced cost and complexity. The successful candidate will perform Research and Development work helping to design, build, and productize the next generation of smart-antennas, apertures, and systems. The position requires a candidate with a strong technical background that works well in fast-paced small-teams and energetic atmosphere typical of start-up companies.
Required skills / experience:
Desired skills / experience:
- Experience in antenna testing and characterization, including standard antenna performance metrics such as gain, directivity, and efficiency
- Experience in RF device testing, including making N-port calibrated S-parameter measurements, efficiency analysis, and harmonic analysis
- Experience conducting experiments in a laboratory setting and familiarity with RF test equipment such as network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, amplifiers, and power meters
- Solid background in electromagnetics and antenna theory
- Strong MATLAB experience required, with experience in other languages (C++, python, etc) desirable
- Ability to understand, modify, and create laboratory instrument control and interfaces using programming languages such as MATLAB, LabView, C++, etc
- The ability to work in a close-knit R&D team, to self-direct investigations, and actively engage in cross-disciplinary projects
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent resident required
- Experience in analog and/or digital circuit design, prototyping and trouble-shooting, and soldering/assembly/robotics
- Experience in Printed Circuit Board fabrication technologies and layout
- Experience with embedded or hardware oriented programming (e.g. Arduino.)
- Experience using full-wave solvers (COMSOL, CST Microwave Studio, Ansys HFSS)
- Active or recent security clearance desirable, but not required
- Conduct antenna characterization and performance evaluation testing of antenna prototypes and small-batch builds, including but not limited to: far-field, near-field, s-parameter, environmental/reliability, linearity, and power-handling tests. Analyze the resulting data using existing and self-developed software scripts, and interface with the team to parse results and identify additional tests needed
- Maintain and improve testing facility, including identification and sourcing of additional equipment or software, and coding of additional analysis and control capability, and troubleshooting of existing facility as needed
- Own the testing calendar/schedule, and work with teams to pipeline experiments by priority and maximize efficiency of testing equipment and facilities
- MS or BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, ECE, or Physics
- 3+ years experience with MS in RF antenna testing and characterization within industry or applied research position
We are an equal opportunity employer