SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Core Skills)
Professional Growth and Development:
- Represents Administration and provides leadership to resolve issues that arise, communicates and reports to Administration.*
- Pursues Professional Growth and Development through Knowledge of the Health Care Environment.*
- Provides Leadership in the Professional Setting.*
- Creates an Environment of Professionalism.*
- Integrates Ethical Provisions in all Areas of Practice.*
- Maintains accurate staffing records and nightly census records.*
- Responds to potential and/or actual emergency situations with direct and appropriate actions. Is familiar with the incident command structure and is able to perform as initial incident commander in disaster/emergency events.*
- Collaborates with others (Bed Management, Department Directors, Clinical Coordinators and Unit Charge Nurses, etc.) to facilitate patient admissions, transfers and staffing needs.*
- Communicates effectively and builds relationships with all external and internal customers.*
- Assures management of other specific routines as designated by Administration.*
Maintains education/knowledge level to demonstrate commitment to professional improvement and also as a role model to others.
Demonstrates accountability for development of professional growth:
a. Participation, involvement and support of the Magnet Model.
b. Attends seminars, CE offerings, keeps up with professional journal readings (life-long learner), and pursues advanced degree.
c. Attains/maintains national certification.
d. Active participation in a professional organization.
Uses evidence-based findings and research in day-to-day practice of leadership
Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills.
Self motivated --- produces work on time and complete.
Supports and is an exemplar of the American Nurses Association (ANA) Professional Practice Standards and the Nursing Administration Scope of Practice.
Effectively manages the change process to achieve outcomes.
Demonstrates effective teambuilding skills.
Demonstrates positive engagement with employees, patients, and physicians.
Coaches and manages staff performance as opportunities arise.
Supports hospital and nursing annual strategic plans, Professional Practice Model, Shared Governance and essential Nursing Administrative functions.
Supports Shared Governance structure through attendance at Nursing Leadership Council.
Maintains visibility with staff and other clinical disciplines.
Sets priorities and identifies how to adjust priorities in response to unusual or urgent events.
Assures that all float pool staff has received appropriate orientation to practice in areas of responsibility.
Promotes effective communication with other disciplines and departments.
Supports staff in adoption of all Quality Initiatives and evidence-based practice.
Makes appropriate adjustments to Nursing Department staffing to meet individual unit Staffing Plans.
Responds in consultation with Department Director to unusual staffing issues/ patient surges throughout hospital.
Makes appropriate referrals to the Quality Department when issues arise.
Makes Rounds in all patient care areas.
Knowledgeable of all regulatory requirements for areas of responsibility and takes appropriate action to improve/achieve.
Maintains knowledge of documentation system.
Works with hospital departments to ensure efficient patient throughput.
Integrates with Bed Management and Transfer Center as needed for optimal patient outcomes and throughput.
Works with all Departments to achieve expected outcomes.
Supports Patient Rights and Organizational Ethics:
Ensures that ethical behavior is followed in patient care, treatment, and services.
Supports the HCA Ethics and Compliance Program.
Integrates the values expressed in the HCA Code of Conduct into day-to-day activities.
Demonstrates compliance with applicable laws and regulations, policies and procedures.
Holds others accountable for behavior consistent with our organizational values.
Maintains a high degree of personal integrity and remains free from conflicts of interest.
Monitors the workplace to ensure that it is free from harassment and workplace violence. Takes appropriate action when necessary.
Creates and supports a culture of safety and advocates for all patients.
Supports ANA's Code of Ethics for Nurses.
Four (4) years experience as a Registered Nurse with demonstrated proficiency in leadership and management skills in the role of Charge Nurse, Clinical Coordinator, etc.
Two years experience in a Nursing Management role.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
BSN or enrollment in BSN program of study
MSN, MBA, MHA preferred
Member of a professional nursing organization
Capital Regional Medical Center - 2 years ago