EDUCATION: Graduates of nursing from an accredited college, university or approved school of nursing required.
EXPERIENCE: Previous clinical experience is preferred for certain specific clinical units. These units may also require additional training.
CERTIFICATE, LICENCES, REGISTRATIONS:
JOB SUMMARY: Works under general supervision and is accountable for own nursing practice while assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the nursing care required to meet the holistic needs of the patient. Applies the principles of growth and development to the care of patients of all ages.
- Current registered nursing (RN) license or temporary permit from the State of Nebraska
- BLS certification
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs a complete assessment of the patient addressing psychological, cultural, ethnic and religious / spiritual needs of the patient and family, makes reassessments of patient as defined by hospital nursing policy.
2. Coordinates and participates in the development of a multidisciplinary, problem driven and individualized plan of care; evidences competent familiarity with the nursing process and with principles of growth and development; demonstrates ability to interpret patient specific and age appropriate data to synthesize a plan of care. Engages patient, and when appropriate, family members in the plan of care.
3. Provides direct patient care based on the plan of care and consults with other specialists as required to assure optimal care.
4. Initiates diagnostic, preventative and rehabilitative nursing procedures as appropriate to the patient’s care and safety. Makes referrals to other disciplines as indicated by the patient’s needs or documents rationale for not doing so.
5. Documents and maintains accurate nursing records including: patient histories, conditions, medications, treatments, responses and assessments of changes, etc., as defined by hospital nursing policy.
6. Functions as a patient advocate between patient, physician, other healthcare providers, administration, etc., as needed, and interacts professionally with patient and family members.
7. Administers medications to the patient in accordance with approved standards of nursing knowledge and competency, based on the age of the patient, the patient’s clinical condition and physician orders.
8. Provides direction, clinical care supervision and delegates certain responsibilities to other employees who perform similar patient care duties; instructs, orients and trains other employees.
9. Attend / participates in departmental meetings, inservices, Mary Lanning Heatlchare's quality improvement programs, etc., and maintains professional growth and development.
10. Supports and promotes the MLH Philosophy and Mission and desired outcomes for Nursing Service and the individual department.
11. Collaborates with members of the healthcare team / program / administration to assure maintenance of professional standards within all aspects of hospital functioning.
12. Supports and participates in changes affecting the Hospital, Nursing Service and / or the unit.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
OUT PATIENT SURGERY RN specific duties include:
- Verifies patient’s identity, operative procedure, operative site, surgeon and consent.
- Evaluates patient’s psychosocial, preoperative and postoperative status; including level of understanding and perception of surgery.
- Verifies patient’s allergies, NPO status, and medications.
- Initiates patient notification for scheduling of pre-admission testing.
- Accurately completes preoperative / postoperative patient phone interview / calls.
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical interventions and uses of anesthesia in planning care.
- Demonstrates through practice, the understanding of basic principles of aseptic technique as applied in the OPS areas of practice.
- Demonstrates knowledge of endoscopy procedures and ability to function independently within the scope of nursing practice in the endoscopy suite.
- Correctly collects and accurately labels specimens.
- Assists anesthesia as requested by anesthesia personnel in preoperative and pain management area.
- Maintains certification in Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard