Responsible for the activities related to Dosimetry systems across all Isomedix Services radiation operating facilities, including calibrations, generation of test methods, audits, scheduling, validations, and reporting as directed by the Radiation Physics Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Radiation Physicist I
- Radiation Physicist II
- Radiation Physicist III
1. Contributes to successful product processing by performing dosimeter calibrations, including scheduling and performing all irradiations using the Gamma Cell 220.
2. Continually monitors dosimeter readout process by analyzing data and performing vital exercises in which routine use dosimeters are irradiated alongside reference/transfer dosimeters to determine environmental offsets.
3. Assists in the development of radiation and facility validation/qualification protocols and equipment by performing experimentation and calibration exercises, analyzing data; makes recommendations based upon data analysis; analyzes data from testing, makes recommendations regarding regulatory compliance issues and data analysis findings.
4. Assists Radiation Physicist II in the investigation and resolution of Customer and facility issues.
5. Contributes to safe and accurate processing by notifying the Radiation Physicist III of any event, item or documentation that may have a concern in regard to regulatory or specification compliance, Customer product quality, or employee safety.
6. Ensures Isomedix spectrophotometric equipment at all plants is operating within specifications by certifying and providing optical check filters.
7. Tracks facility wide dosimeter inventory and send monthly report to STERIS accounting, and makes dosimeter purchasing recommendations.
8. Maintains and distributes dosimeters to facilities based on usage forecasts.
9. Assists Radiation Physicist III in maintaining a safe work environment by attending safety meeting with local plants, completing safety rounds of the Dosimetry Services facility, and tracking all hazardous materials as contained in the Material Safety Data Sheets.
10. Assists Radiation Physicist II in validation of all software owned and operated by Dosimetry Services.
11. Maintains professional skills, knowledge and abilities by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and participating in professional societies.
12. Contributes in a team effort by performing according to the guidelines outlined in the STERIS Code of Business Conduct, the QSR and other directives; supports the directives and decisions of higher level management and accomplishes other duties as assigned.
13. Communicates in an effective manner by utilizing accepted business practices in a courteous and professional manner providing timely and accurate responses and service oriented offers of assistance.
14. Protects company confidential information by properly storing, retrieving and disseminating such information only to those authorized.
15. Supports the Isomedix business imperatives of Growth, Operational Excellence, Leadership Excellence and Customer Focus, by acting with integrity, treating everyone with mutual respect, exhibiting a genuine commitment to the success of all employees, and delivering satisfaction to our Customers through teamwork, innovation and continuous improvement; this will be accomplished while acting safely and is defined as "The STERIS Way."
16. Exhibits a commitment to the Isomedix shared values of Customer Satisfaction and Continuous Improvement through ensuring defect-free workmanship, assisting others to meet the customer’s needs, searching for efficient and effective ways to reduce waste, being active and accountable for customer satisfaction, and satisfying the customer’s needs with a sense of urgency.
Position primarily requires sitting, standing, talking, and walking in an office environment and stooping, climbing, standing, walking and talking in a processing environment. Nature of work requires depth perception, near- and far-sighted vision, normal color distinction, and normal finger dexterity. Environment includes working in close proximity to contained controlled ionizing radiation and/or controlled and contained toxic flammable gas (ethylene oxide) and other treatment/process chemicals of which further information is available through the facility’s Hazardous Communication Standard (Right to Know). The position may require periodic use of personal protective equipment. Hours of work may exceed normal business hours with occasional evening meetings with Customers and Sales Representatives. Requires conducting Customer and regulator tours, meetings and audits. Will require use of personal protection items as needed. Will require occasional day and overnight trips and infrequent extended overnight trips.
BS/BA degree in Physics or related science or equivalent education and experience preferred.
Experience Requirements (Skills, Knowledge and Abilities)
1. A minimum of three (3) years with Dosimetry systems or in Quality Engineering in sterilization processes in the medical device or pharmaceutical industry with demonstrated knowledge in FDA regulations, ISO 9000, ISO 13485, AAMI and ASTM standards related to radiation processing.
2. A minimum of three (3) years experience hands-on knowledge of quality system statistics including variation analysis and related software.
3. Ability to effectively read, write and verbally communicate in English.
4. Ability to work independently under general guidelines and supervision.
5. Requires computer literacy to include word processing, spreadsheet and software capabilities.
6. Effective interpersonal skills as demonstrated through prior experience.
7. Above average organizing, analyzing and Level 4 math skills (advanced algebra and/or calculus and/or statistics) to determine organizational, Customer and regulatory problems and formulate corrective action plans; attention to detail.
8. Ability to adapt to changing duties and responsibilities.
9. Ability to influence people in the opinions, attitude or judgements; to generalize, evaluate and make decisions in situations under stress.
10. Normal hearing range sufficient to hear alarms, bells, horns, etc.
Nature of Problem Solving
Designs and executes experiments and test methods, reviews and analyses data and makes recommendations upon the results that may impact dosimetry across all Isomedix Services.
Empowerment and Decision Making Environment
Authorized to take action regarding decisions that affect Dosimetry Services system performance.
Cost and Operating Expenses $100,000
Join STERIS in its vision to see the world free from Infection and Contamination as a
Radiation Physicist I
STERIS is a $1B+, publicly traded (NYSE) organization of over 5000 employees and is dedicated to providing innovative infection prevention, decontamination, and health science technologies, products and services. STERIS Corporation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
STERIS Corporation complies with all obligations with respect to online application systems under guidelines provided by the US Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. If you are a disabled person who requires reasonable accommodation to complete an online application, please contact the STERIS Human Resources Department by phone at 847-573-3223, extension 75667 for assistance.
Total number of employees supervised (direct and indirect) 0
Steris - 13 months ago
STERIS Corporation (STERIS), together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets infection prevention, contamination control...