An Associate’s degree (A.A.) is required. Completion of a formal radiation therapy technology program required. Certified by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) is required. Prior experience preferred.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Delivers radiation treatment according to written prescription and treatment plan. Ensures safety in patient care through the consistent practice of departmental procedures for treatment administration. Treatment delivery includes identifying correct patient, escorting patient to treatment room, assisting patient onto the treatment table, positions patient for treatment, delivers radiation from the control room and assists the patient in exiting the treatment room.
2. Provides and ensures an environment of caring, concern and support for patients, visitors, medical staff and co-workers on a consistent basis.
3. Assures the quality of treatment delivery through the complete and accurate documentation of treatment records. Recognizes deviation from prescribed treatment delivery and reports all deviations to the Chief Therapist and/or Physicist.
4. Uses effective communication techniques and interpersonal skills to provide explanations for treatment-related procedures. Explains treatment procedures to patient and/or family. Refers medical questions to appropriate personnel. Responds effectively to patient concerns. Observes patients for expected and unexpected reactions to treatments and communicates this to appropriate staff members. Reinforces patient education/side effect management information and indicates non-compliance to medical/nursing staff.
5. Under the direction of a radiation oncologist, takes localization radiographs according to planned treatment delivery. Assists physician or nurse in the administration of contrast agents used during treatment localization. Performs measurements for use during treatment calculation. Collects and documents data acquired during the simulation procedure. Accurately inputs treatment-related data into the verify-and-record system.
6. Assists as needed in all treatment-related procedures, including making of electron blocks, transporting patients, performing simulations, charge capture, reviewing charts and ordering supplies.
7. Performs and documents daily and weekly QA activity for assigned equipment. Documents findings outside the range established by Physics. Notifies Chief Therapist immediately of findings outside the normal range of operations. Participates in programs to measure and improve the quality of care within the Department.
Alliance HealthCare Services - 20 months ago
Alliance HealthCare Services is a leading national provider of diagnostic imaging and radiation oncology services. With nearly 30 years...