At the Austin Center for Radiation Oncology (ACFRO) we are committed to bringing advanced treatment options to patients who need them. At the Center, our staff is composed of compassionate healthcare professionals who continually strive for more to each and every patient, each and every day. Our healthcare professionals employ the latest advancements in radiation therapy that are not widely available in other outpatient treatment centers.
ACFRO is an extension of Urology Austin, a progressive group of physicians that has been caring for patients in the greater Austin area since 1962. To learn more about the center and the cancers we treat, please visit our websites at www.acfro.com.
Radiation Therapist Job Description:
- Prepares treatment room and equipment.
- Positions patient and adjusts the linear accelerator to concentrate radiation exposure on the tumor cells following the treatment plan developed in conjunction with radiation oncologist. Explains procedure to patient.
- Delivers accurately the prescribed planned course of radiation therapy. Monitors patient’s physical condition during treatment phase to determine any adverse side effects. Documents all pertinent information in medical records including dose of radiation used for each treatment, total amount of radiation used to date, area treated, and patient’s reactions.
- Performs daily linear accelerator warm-up procedures. Checks photon beam and electron beams for consistency. Checks physics components for accuracy of beam alignment.
- Follows radiation safety protocols in competent manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Radiation Therapist Requirements:
- Current licensure as required by state Texas board eligible in Radiation Therapy by the American Registry of Radiology Technology.
- Maintain ARRT certification in radiation therapy with a minimum of documented 24 hours of continuing education.
- Successful completion of an associate’s or bachelor’s degree program (preferred) in radiation therapy or a radiography program, plus a 12-month certificate program in radiation therapy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Current BLS/CPR Certification.
- Minimum two years experience as staff radiation therapist in radiation center, preferably clinic setting.
- Computer literate