Rail Load/unload - Toledo, OH
Employment Status: Full Time - Regular Hours Worked: 40/Week ( Not Guaranteed)
Reports to: Operations Supervisor
To prepare railcars for unloading, driving vehicles off of railcars, disengaging vehicles from railcars and preparing railcars for transportation according to manufacturer and American Association of Railroad standards.
List any required technical skills (computer skills, mechanical skills, etc):
Use of hand tools such as ratchets, wrenches, etc.
Must be able to drive vehicles with either automatic or standard transmissions.
List in order of importance the major responsibilities of the job, estimate the percentage of time spent on each responsibility (the main function of the job may or may not be the one where the most time is spent).
- Break seals on rail car doors according to customer specifications; close rail car doors as needed
- Raise and lower rail car decks
- Disengage chains and chocks securing vehicles to rail cars; as needed, secure vehicles onto the rail cars
- Set rail car bridge plates
- Operate and set Buck Ramp
- Store Chocks or chains
- Inspect vehicles for damage
- Report damage to lead, supervisor, or manager
- Drive vehicles off of rail cars; may occasionally drive onto rail cars
- Drive vehicles to and from staging areas and park vehicles according to manufacturers’ criteria
- Able to react to change in a calm manner
- Ability to successfully pass the E-Rail background check and quiz, and obtain security clearance
- Various duties as assigned
- Adhere to all ALP, TDSI, and AAR safety standards
- A behavior and conduct that maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so you get along with customers, vendors, co-workers and management
- Good and regular attendance
- Ability to work in a variety of situations
Does this position have access to confidential information? Yes__X__ No ____ If yes, please explain:
- Must be able to pass E-Rail Background check
- Valid driver’s license; good driving record
- Able to drive both standard and automatic automobiles
- Ability to write, read, and comprehend documents at a 6 th grade level
- Follow directions, both written and verbal communication in English
- Ability to adhere to strict quality standards without variance
- Ability to interact with others effectively
- Ability to communicate diplomatically
- Good visual ability
- Ability to read and understand MSDS
- Knowledge of the use of hand tools (i.e., wrenches, screw drivers, ratchets, etc.)
- Must have a good sense of balance
- Ability to work at a height approximately 15 feet above the ground
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds over head
- Ability to push, pull, or carry up to 85 pounds
- Ability to pass Safe Driving, Rail and Buck Ramp quiz with 80%or better
- Ability to stand, walk, and work outdoors in all weather conditions
Associate has access to Auto Logistics Providers and customer proprietary information; including but not limited to instructions for installations by customer, defective or faulty equipment requiring repairs, etc. It is expected that associates not share this information with other customers or people outside of ALP.
What kind of work experience (including length of time), training, and / or level of education is necessary for this position?
High School is preferred.
Valid driver’s license
Previous work experience in a physically demanding job that requires working outdoors in all types of weather is desirable
What other special training and/or abilities are necessary to qualify for this position?
Pass safe driving, buck ramp and rail safety quizzes with 80% or better
Are there particular working conditions associated with this position which should be noted (i.e., working environment, hours of work, travel, work space, etc). Yes __X__ No____ If yes, please explain:
Must work out doors in all types of weather, be able to climb rail ladders up to 15’ high, and work in tight spaces.
Minimum Tools Needed
- Seal cutter
- Breaker bar
- PPE Provided includes gloves, kneepads, bump cap
Chemicals Involved With :
- Work is performed out doors in all weather conditions.
- Work with a team of other Rail associates
- Work in tight spaces when vehicles
- Must climb ladders on outside of rail car and swing body into rail car from ladder
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Citrus-based cleaners
- Motor Oil
- Transmission oil
- Brake fluid
- Windshield washer fluid
- Alkaline Batteries
- Various adhesives
- Various cleaning supplies
Auto Warehousing Co. - 9 months ago