Performs intermediate administrative support work providing direct and indirect customer service to potential and real customers needing help with selecting or locating library materials or technology, maintaining the collection and displays, organizing program records, statistics and files, and related work as apparent or assigned consistent with the policies and mission of the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Branch Manager.
REQUIRES: Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject area from an accredited four-year college/university and at least two years relevant work experience. Ability to achieve Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Computer skills sufficient to effectively use circulation software and familiarity of Microsoft Office are required. Must have excellent and proactive customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Evening and weekend hours, including Sunday hours are required.
- Welcomes and assists customers or prospective customers into the library; assists them with finding library materials or equipment; explains library policies.
- Provides programming primarily for Tweens, teens, and adults.
- Provides direct customer service via in person, telephone or email inquiry; assists customers with finding and/or using library technology, resources or equipment.
- Assists with idea generation related to program development; provides suggestions as to local needs and potential programming developments.
- Works in coordination with others to locate and secure presenters or program facilitators.
- Makes recommendations of materials to add to the collection; assists with maintaining collection information, shelving, weeding or organizing materials.
- Processes incoming materials.
- Develops and maintains displays.
- Assists with opening and maintaining cleanliness of the customer areas.
- Gathers and maintains various program and library usage statistics.
- Attends various meetings and trainings as a member of the department.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires walking, sitting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application . Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.