The Real Estate Services Section in the Facilities Management Division is responsible for management of the County’s real estate portfolio including leasing, sales, property management, acquisition, appraisals, permits, and franchises. Real Estate Services provides professional services to both internal and external customers regarding King County real estate assets and space requirements working with other sections within the Facilities Management Division including Capital Planning, Strategic Initiatives, Operations, Finance, and Building Services. |
This position supervises and directs the work of approximately ten (existing) staff in the Acquisition/Appraisal and Permits/Franchises group within the Real Estate Services Section. This is one of two groups within the Section and the supervisor will be assigned responsibility for tasks and projects crossing over and coordinating with the other work groups within Real Estate Services: Leasing, Sales and Property Management.
The supervisor must be skilled in providing information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, including providing them with timely information so that they can make accurate decisions. The supervisor must also be skilled at establishing clear directions, distributing the workload appropriately and clearly assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions.
WORK LOCATION : King County Administration Building, 500 - 4th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and is not overtime eligible. Regular hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
WHO MAY APPLY : This position is open to all qualified applicants. King County regular bargaining-unit members of the Teamsters, Local 117, Professional and Technical employees will receive first consideration.
REQUIRED FORMS AND MATERIALS:
CONTACT INFORMATION : Please direct questions about this recruitment to Elvira Valasote at 206-296-5179 or Elvira.Valasote@kingcounty.gov .
- King County application form (paper or electronic)
- Cover Letter
- Answers to the supplemental questionnaires
You can attach multiple documents to your electronic application if necessary or required. Your options are:
- Copy and paste one or more documents into the text resume section of the application, or
- Attach multiple documents/files in the resume attachment section, or
- Send attachments to the HR contact below
This position is open until filled. The first review of applications will be on June 24, 2013. If you are interested, please apply as soon as possible.
Acquisition and Appraisal :
1. Supervises, plans, organizes, and assigns the work of staff engaged in acquisition, relocation, appraisal, appraisal review, and related work tasks.
2. Independently plans, negotiates and prepares necessary documentation (rights-of-entry, purchase and sale agreements, easements, deeds, etc.) and legislative approval packages for complex real estate acquisitions and overview of valuation assignments.
3. Ensures compliance with federal and state regulations regarding acquisition and relocation.
4. Ensures compliance with federal, state and Appraisal Institute regulations regarding real estate appraisal methodology and reporting standards.
5. Makes recommendations on acquisition and appraisal matters to the Real Estate Services Section Manager.
Permits and Franchises :
6. Supervises, plans, organizes, administers and assigns the work of staff engaged in receiving permit applications; tracking, conducting and coordinating permit reviews, and establishing conditions and fees for issuing special use permits, right-of-way construction permits, franchises, easements and other agreements for the use of County property.
7. Independently plans, negotiates and prepares necessary documentation for complex permits, easements and franchises and legislative approval packages for complex franchises.
8. Makes recommendations on issuance of permits to the Real Estate Services Section Manager.
9. Serves as the Facilities Management appointed member of the Utilities Technical Review Committee and carries out responsibilities associated with review and the coordination of County review of utilities’ plans including preparation and submittal of legislation to the Executive and Council related to the UTRC functions.
10. Makes recommendations on hiring and disciplinary matters to the Real Estate Services Section Manager.
11. Establishes work performance standards and expectations. When necessary, addresses performance and conduct issues in a timely and effective manner.
12. Coordinates the work of this group with other groups in the Real Estate Services Section, Facilities Management Division and other County agencies. The supervisor and group will be assigned responsibility for tasks and projects crossing over from the other groups as workload requires.
13. Advises and makes recommendations to the Real Estate Services Section Manager regarding technical real estate matters involving acquisition, appraisal, permits, easements, franchises, applicable approval legislation and related real property matters in consultation with County agencies, attorneys, and political input.
14. Develops, recommends and implements new policies, procedures, and strategies related to acquisition, appraisal, permits, easements, franchises, applicable approval legislation and related real property matters. Ensures compliance with King County Code provisions.
15. Prepares, presents, and supervises presentation of technical and policy reports to County decision-makers.
16. May, as assigned, oversee or manage staff providing key support for any of the Section’s and/or Facility Management Division’s real estate related projects and functions.
17. Maintains accurate records of acquisition, appraisal, permits, easements, franchises, applicable approval legislation and related real property activities, including fee billings and collections.
18. Prepares correspondence and materials for King County Executive and King County Council consideration as required.
19. Ensures that information pertaining to the group’s work is provided and entered into the County’s new Real Estate Property Portfolio management system.
20. Serves on various task forces, committees and boards from time to time representing the Real Estate Services Section or the Facilities Management Division.
21. Investigates and resolves customer complaints.
22. Prepares proposals for and administers the group’s budget, including monitoring expenditures and revenues.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The Real Estate Services Supervisor must have the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Ability to read situations quickly and resolve conflict through focused listening and the identification of common ground.
- Knowledge in supervising staff in the real estate field; experience and knowledge in the application of supervisory techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of budget development and analysis.
- Knowledge of local real estate market data services and real property markets; knowledge in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting the organization.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal governmental policies, procedures, laws, regulations and ordinances including related land use planning and zoning practices.
- Knowledge of human resources principles and practices.
- Skill and ability in dealing with performance and conduct issues firmly and in a timely manner and regularly reviews performance and holds timely discussions.
- Advanced knowledge of real property documents, terms, policies, and procedures. Advanced interpersonal and negotiation skills and procedures.
- Advanced skill in developing, modifying, understanding and interpreting complex real estate documents including purchase and sale agreements, leases, right-of-entry, deeds and related agreements.
- Advanced skill in understanding and interpreting complex appraisals, valuation methodology, techniques and procedures.
- Advanced experience speaking and writing clearly and succinctly with a wide variety of audiences in varied communication settings and experience in giving effective presentations to different types of audiences in both casual and formal settings.
- Research and data analysis skills.
- Skill in reading, applying and correcting permits, maps, surveys, building construction plans and specifications.
- Skill in reading, writing and interpreting technical legal descriptions.
- Skill in problem solving and analysis, policy and strategy development.
- Skill in the use of personal computers including word processing, spreadsheet and database management software.
- Skill in providing excellent customer service and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Skill in blending people into teams when needed and creating strong morale and spirit within the team.
- Skill in motivating direct reports, creating a climate in which people want to do their best, and making them feel their work is important.
- Skill in managing all kinds and classes of people equitably and supporting equal and fair treatment for all.
Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Building and Construction Management, Law, Business, Public Administration, Land Use Planning or related field and at least five years of progressively responsible real estate experience which must include lead and/or project management experience on large complex real estate projects and transactions that demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience in real estate activities including, negotiation, sales, leasing, property management, appraisal, operational policies and procedures and legislation development; or any equivalent combination of education and experience providing the education and qualifications described above.
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 117, Professional and Technical.
King County - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard
King County provides regional services to over 1.9 million residents including more than 340,000 people living in unincorporated areas....