Under moderate supervision and using some independent judgment, receives, scans, analyzes, and indexes a wide variety of legal documents. Issues marriage licenses. Assists customers in understanding different types of documents and provides training on the retrieval of digital or microfilm copies. Performs moderately complex bookkeeping and accounting tasks, including assessing fees, balancing cash receipts, preparing deposits, and generating reports. Responds to customer requests and acts as a primary contact point for the department.
This is the first in a series of three recording specialist-related job classifications within the Administrative Support job family. This classification is distinguished from the Recording Specialist II in that the overall nature of the job is production oriented and focused on the entry of data, not the review of data entered by others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides specialized support, expertise, and information to the general public on matters relating to the transaction of documents filed. Maintains knowledge of statutes and implements new recording laws. Provides information and answers technical questions from title companies, law firms, financial institutions, other government agencies and the general public. Assists customers by providing information on how to locate documents and instruction on how to use computer indexing and image retrieval systems, microfilm equipment, venda-card machines, and copiers. Provides technical advice and assistance regarding documents required for all types of transactions on matters including real property, business creation, marriage licenses, elections, and civil, probate and misdemeanor court matters.
- Prepares documents for imaging and operates electronic scanning equipment. Converts scanned material to digital form. Edits and inspects each scanned image to ensure it has been properly input and the integrity of the document has been maintained. May perform additional quality control tests of all documents that are imaged and indexed. Insures safety, security, and confidentiality of digitized records. Identifies documents that do not meet legal requirements and assesses penalties or returns document to customer.
- Interprets a wide variety of complex legal documents and records key information and fee assessment in an automated indexing system. Performs a variety of moderately complex bookkeeping and accounting functions in a large revenue office. Posts receipts and disbursements to appropriate ledgers, journals, or reports. Updates computer logs. Prepares a variety of reports, reconciles cash receipts, prepares bank deposits, and processes state vouchers. Maintains a daily log for reconciliation of accounts and measurement of performance against performance standards.
- Responds to customer requests by mail, e-mail, telephone or in person. Uses expertise to research and retrieve documents from electronic and manual databases as well as extensive document library. Provides plain or certified copies upon request. Mails documents to customers in a timely manner. Issues marriage licenses and files all official records. Creates compact discs for customers and off-site storage.
- Serves as central information, answers the main telephone number, and operates an information desk. Logs telephone calls. Directs callers to appropriate division on matters that require specialized knowledge. Receives, opens, logs and directs department mail. Maintains log on checks received. Maintains and compiles statistical reports. Maintains and performs preventative and operational maintenance on venda-card machines, copiers, microfilm readers and electronic scanning equipment. Maintains research library and ensures library is organized and current. Maintains copy center.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or a directly related field AND two (2) years of increasingly responsible clerical and administrative experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Typing Test required with on-line application.
Typing Speed: 40 wpm
Data entry and the interpretation of complex legal documents experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Basic customer service and telephone etiquette.
- Scanning and imaging equipment.
- County indexing codes.
- Legal instruments and recording forms.
- Basic accounting procedures.
- Research procedures and data sources.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Preparing documents for scanning.
- Retrieving documents from indexes and various databases.
- Analyzing legal documents and assigning proper codes.
- Operating scanning and imaging equipment.
- Maintaining neat and well-organized records.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer and data entry packages.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Make decisions about manual and automated record keeping and indexing to insure easy and accurate retrieval.
- Work quickly and accurately with numbers.
- Perform accurate detailed work with permanent records.
- Operate a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to sitting, client/customer contact, standing, walking, vision to monitor, repetitive motion, stooping/kneeling, squatting, bending, reaching, reading large volume of documents, and considerable time on telephone to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 5501 Airport Blvd. Austin
Department: County Clerk
Criminal, Education & Employment Background Check Required