Responsible for performing professional processing of Police Records. Also, responsible for utilizing City Guidelines to perform job functions regarding retention and destruction of records regulations, alarm ordinances, open records laws, and petty cash control.
Essential Job Functions
1) Provide quality customer service for citizens and other City personnel in regards to Police Records management.
2) Establish routines within the department to ensure job functions are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
3) Perform data entry integrity and quality control maintenance of all Police Reports, Accident Reports, Prosecution Reports, Pawn Shop Tickets, Narcotics Reports and other police records to verify accuracy and completion.
4) Assist in administration and enforcement of the City of Garland Alarm Ordinance and operation of Alarm Unit.
5) Assist with administration of Open Records Requests, police mail room functions, petty cash control, retention and destruction of Records.
6) May perform accounts payable functions by processing, updating and maintaining monthly statistics for the department including bills, expenses and p-card information.
7) May research and review requests from the other department and/or agencies in regards to criminal records checks, visa applications, alarm permits, etc.
8) May prepare receipts for money transactions for payment of alarm permits and report fees, reconcile cash drawer and prepare a daily deposit into the department safe at the end of the shift.
9) Perform administrative duties as needed.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
6 months advanced training or coursework past the high school level
1-2 years experience as a secretary, administrative assistant and/or data processor in a police department
Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (TLETS) Operator certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Basic knowledge of Police Record Keeping procedures
Basic knowledge of federal, state and local regulations in regards to Public Information Act
Basic knowledge of Court clerical requirements, subpoenas, depositions etc
Basic knowledge of data entry systems and procedures
Skill using in Microsoft Office software including Word, Outlook, and Excel
Skill using computer software and programs including I-LEADS, Informer Client, etc
Ability to apply current office technology, resources and services to assist officers, departments and the general public
Ability to maintain sensitive information in a confidential manner
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. The incumbent may walk, bend, reach, lift boxes and other materials up to 50 lbs, and push/pull carts.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Up to 1 year related experience
Ability to successfully complete a background check and polygraph testing
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 18 months ago