The purpose of this position is to facilitate the provision of recreational activities for City of Allen and surrounding area residents. This is accomplished by providing numerous forms of customer service at the Senior Recreation Center. Other duties may include registering citizens for classes, activities, processing POS transactions, registering citizens for membership, assisting in opening and closing duties, maintaining the facility, providing various administrative services and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Primarily responsible for the transportation of senior citizens to and from the Senior Center. This includes assisting seniors on and off motor vehicle transportation as well as lifting equipment (e.g. walkers, wheelchairs, etc.) on to and off of the motor vehicle transportation. Also responsible for mobility assistance during field trips for the Senior Center.
- Responsible for setting up and breaking down activity rooms for weekly events which includes setting up and moving tables, lifting chairs from stacks and moving chairs throughout the room.
- Provides customer service by greeting members, answering and directing phone calls, providing facility information, including class schedules, hours of operation and policies, distributing equipment, supervising member activities inside facility and on outings and by answering member questions and concerns. Assists with meal preparation and clean-up.
- Registers citizens for classes, activities by operating membership software, entering data, taking payments, filing records and providing members with pertinent information regarding the facility and registration.
- Processes POS transactions by operating CLASS Software, entering and recording sales transactions and taking payments.
- Registers citizens for membership by operating CLASS software, ensuring necessary paperwork is completed and filed, entering information into computer system and accepting payments.
- Assists in opening and closing facilities duties, accounting for cash levels and printing reports for reconciliation of check/cash levels and record of daily transactions.
- Maintains facility, interior and exterior, by reporting complaints and problems, making calls for repair, handling customer complaints where appropriate, identifying current risk and forecasting potential problems.
- Provides various administrative services by ensuring safety in facility, assisting with development of brochures, signs and other marketing tools, maintaining adequate levels of supplies and marketing tools, assisting with special events and providing clerical based services.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required. Customer service and experience working with seniors is preferred.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver's License, Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License with passenger endorsement within 60 days of employment, First Aid/CPR Certification or ability to obtain within six months of employment.
This position is scheduled to work a approximately twenty (20) hours per week, Monday through Saturday. Scheduled hours may vary and includes evenings and weekends.
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.