WENATCHEE VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER
JOB TITLE: Certified Therapeutic Recreational REVISED: October 2010
DEPARTMENT: Rehabilitation REPORTS TO: Manager
LOCATION: Wenatchee Valley Hospital OSHA CLASS: 1
OVERALL PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This position is responsible for planning and implementing therapeutic recreation programs and
establishing section goals and objectives. The position also organizes, coordinates, and supervises a
variety of therapeutic activities for patients.
1. Perform initial evaluation and documentation of treatment plan and patient progress for patients referred to Therapeutic Recreation.
2. Implement community reintegration activities and outings for patients and family members to facilitate reintegration of rehabilitation patients into the community.
3. Provide information and referral to community resources for patients and family members to facilitate community reintegration and adjustment to disability.
4. Consult with health care team regarding therapeutic goals for patients referred to service and coordinate activities with rehabilitation team or other pertinent providers.
5. Develop and implement therapeutic recreation programs in accordance with patient's needs and interests to maximize therapeutic value of service.
6. Provide leisure education services to patients and family members to foster re-involvement in leisure activities with current abilities.
7. Participate in interdisciplinary team meetings and patient/family conferences as able.
8. Monitor and maintain departmental supplies and equipment.
9. Train and supervise student interns and therapeutic recreation aides.
10. Monitor service productivity and budget to ensure compliance.
11. Attend professional conferences, seminars, and meetings to keep current on professional concerns and skills.
12. Provide in-service education to rehabilitation team as needed.
13. Maintain a safe and sanitary work environment.
a. Maintains a clean, neat, and safe environment for patient and staff according to department policies.
b. Insures that supplies and equipment necessary for patient care are stored in an organized and efficient manner.
c. Demonstrates correct and safe technique in the use of equipment according to specific product information and policy and procedure manuals.
d. Follows appropriate procedure for obtaining and returning or cleaning/disposing of equipment and supplies.
14. Actively participates in unit based Quality Assurance program.
a. Aware of, and participates in the dept based QA program.
b. Alert to potential Q.A. problems, and actively participates in solving such problems.
c. Responds with improved performance to results obtained from Q.A. monitors.
d. Assists in developing, reviewing and revising policies and procedures, standards of care, and standard of practice for department.
NOTE: This list of job functions is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other functions that may be deemed necessary.
1. A BS degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a major in therapeutic recreation.
2. The equivalent of 1 yr exp in a rehab or medical setting as a therapeutic recreation specialist.
1. Therapist must be certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Cert.
2. Washington State Driver's License
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Exhibits interpersonal skills that promote a positive functioning department.
2. Communicates effectively with peers, health team members, management and physicians.
3. Interacts effectively with patient's families and/or significant others. Always greets patients in a courteous and respectful manner; responds to patients with empathy and positive interpersonal skills. Consistently handles all request in a positive manner.
4. Adapts to changes in a positive, professional manner.
5. Cooperates well with staff, physicians and other departments.
6. Maintains positive working relationships.
7. Assists others whenever possible.
8. Follows through on problems that may compromise patient care by using the appropriate chain of command.
Must be able to push wheelchairs on all community terrains and perform lifting and transfers of patients.
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard