High school diploma, G.E.D., or foreign education equivalent to a US Accredited High School Diploma and two (2) years experience in recycling or related field as listed in the Examples of Work. Valid Minnesota driver’s license required.
Must be able to work Saturdays.
Successful completion of hazardous waste training program sponsored by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency as required. Successful completion of forklift and skid loader operators training as required.
Individuals offered a position will be required to take a drug test
Individuals required to use County vehicles and equipment must have a valid Minnesota driver's license and be free of any major traffic violations for the last three (3) years
Nature of Work:
Under the supervision of the Recycling Specialist, assists in the acceptance, processing and disposal of self-hauled garbage, recyclable materials and special wastes that are delivered to the Recycling Center. Collects and transports recyclable materials, and confidential paper from various public buildings using County-owned vehicles. Performs routine preventative maintenance and repairs within the Recycling Center and Recycling truck, baler and other stationary and mobile equipment. Performs daily cleaning activities within the Recycling Center complex. Assists as back-up personnel for other waste adamant areas (hazardous waste and composting).
Examples of Work:
- Performs cashier functions in serving self-haul customers
- Assists customers in disposing of their garbage, recycling materials and special wastes
- Places reusable items in a product reuse area
- Collects recyclable materials from various public buildings using County owned Recycling truck, and transports to the County Recycling Center
- Collects and transports confidential paper and red bag waste from various public buildings
- Picks-up and delivers supplies for waste abatement area using County owned vehicles
- Operates baler, forklift, and skid loader in waste adamant area to move and process materials
- Loads and unloads trucks
- Performs routine preventative maintenance and repairs on recycling vehicle and recycling equipment
- Answers telephone and provide technical assistance to the public
- Performs daily cleaning of facility
- Receives and presorts hazardous materials from households, Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) businesses, governmental units, and agriculture
- Works at hazardous waste mobile collections in Olmsted and surrounding counties
- Is familiar with HAZMAT emergency response procedures
- Performs other waste management duties as assigned, including hazardous waste and composting areas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
In compliance w/ the Americans with Disabilities Act the following represents the Physical/Environmental Demands: This position requires a majority of time standing, walking and lifting. Often requires lifting of objects less than 10 lbs. Sometimes lift objects weighing 50 lbs and less. Often requires carrying of objects no heavier than 10 lbs and sometimes carries objects 11 lbs to 75 lbs. Climbing of stairs necessary. Movements such as stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting, bending, handling, reaching overhead and in front of body are often required. Audio, visual and verbal functions are vital aspects of this position. The workday is spent primarily outdoor activities with exposure extreme heat as well as extreme cold based on weather conditions. Ability to operate a commercial vehicle required. Persons with disabilities : The above is a general listing of job duties. Essential and non-essential functions may vary by individual position. Reasonable accommodations may be available for both essential and non-essential job duties.
- Ability to physically move collected waste to proper storage areas. Some heavy lifting involved
- Ability to work with and instruct the public, other agencies and staff
- Ability to work independently
- Good mechanical aptitude
- Class B drivers license or the ability to obtain one
- Baler, forklift and skid loader operation experience and/or the ability to complete training program
- Ability to identify hazardous products and separate into chemical groupings
- Ability to successfully complete the applicable training programs
- Must be able to work Saturdays
Olmsted County, MN - 13 months ago