This Librarian will work as part of a team of Reference Librarians to provide Reference and Instruction services. Duties include provision of innovative Reference and Research services for students and faculty, providing backup services for the circulation function of the Library, developing curriculum or help guide content, collection development, teaching Information Literacy skills or orientations within Information Literacy program, designing web-based tutorials, management reports, and other related duties. The Reference Services Department supports a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs including distance learning, accelerated adult learner programs, Schools of Education, Engineering, Naturopathic Medicine, Acupuncture, Engineering, Physician Assistant, Dental Hygiene, and Chiropractic Studies. This Librarian will be the subject expert and liaison to areas other than Health Sciences.
Hours during the Fall and Spring Semesters are Sundays - Thursdays 12-8 with similar hours at other times of the year.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers Reference and other types of Questions in-person, by telephone, via IM and email.
- Collaborates with Faculty on collection needs
- Works with Instruction and Information Literacy Librarian, providing individualized and group instruction on the use of library resources including specialized databases
- Helps to develop instructional material, curriculum content and tools in print and electronic format
- Works on University committees and task teams to represent the Library
- Acts as an expert on use of all library databases and all database features
- Measures the effectiveness/frequency of Reference and Database use and provides management reports
- Creates lists of holdings and databases for faculty inquiries, accreditation reports, etc.
- Oversees, indirectly, student assistants working in the library and in media services
- Maintains an atmosphere conducive to learning in the Library by enforcing Library policies
- Works closely with the Library Technology Specialists on database customization/features
- Backs Up Media Services, Printing Services and Circulation during off-peak library hours
- Other work related duties as assigned
- Masters Degree in Library or Information Science, some experience teaching Information Literacy is preferred
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office, Library Databases and advanced searching capabilities
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and students, including International students
- Excellent communication skills, including instruction
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams, be flexible and ability to acquire new skills independently
- Strong service orientation
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please send letter of application and resume to:
Department of Human Resources
Reference & Instruction Librarian University of Bridgeport
Wahlstrom Library, 7th Floor
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Fax: (203) 576-4601