POSITION: Admissions Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Administrator
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for developing and maintaining optimal occupancy levels and quality census mix. Represents the facility to professionals and the community to expand the facility’s referral base. Takes inquiries, give facility tours, and makes arrangements for admission. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
1. . Admissions
• Takes telephone inquires and arranges facility visits.
• Conducts pre-admission interviews with prospective residents/patients/families and explains the services of the facility.
• Attends daily admission/census meetings and maintains the bed management board.
• Evaluates hospital or home-based residents based upon the Green, Yellow, Red policy to determine acceptance as a resident at the facility.
• Explains to residents/patient families all admission forms and agreements.
• Notifies all departments of new admissions. Coordinates medical needs ( equipment, diagnosis, medications) with nursing in advance.
• Greets resident/patient on arrival. Checks transfer information and prepares forms to conclude the admission. Escorts to room and introduces to nursing staff.
• Participates in the marketing meeting and carries out all assigned duties.
• Maintains the Sales and Marketing Systems manual.
• Conducts sales and networking calls to assigned referral sources by referencing the quarterly sales plan and the quarterly account management plan. Accounts could include: physicians and their office staff, social service departments, hospital discharge planners, government agencies, bank trust officers, attorneys, insurance companies, clergy, health maintenance organizations, industrial health programs, and other potential referral sources. Keeps a record of such visits.
• Contacts community groups ( civic, senior citizens, etc.) to arrange appearances at meetings. Makes presentations to groups when requested.
• Invites community groups to hold their meetings in the facility, to our and to volunteer at the facility.
3. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and act in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program.
4. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
5. *Performs physical activities including standing, lifting ( up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
6. Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
• Knows and follows facility rules.
• *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
• Follows facility smoking policies.
• Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
• Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
• *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
• Uses required protective equipment.
• Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
10. Resident Rights
• Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
• Reports resident/patient complaints to management.
• Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
• Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
• Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks. ( Applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid.)
• Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
1. Joins community groups as appropriate.
2. Participates in committee meetings as assigned.
3. Assists with special facility programs and events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. Previous marketing experience required. Long-term care experience preferred.
2. Ability to make oral presentations to individuals and groups.
3. Ability to organize, plan and work autonomously.
4. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to support the admissions process.
5. Education or experience sufficient to meet position requirements.
6. Ability to relate positively, effectively and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents and the elderly.
7. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
8. Meets all health requirements, as required by law.