Join American Airlines and not only discover how we're changing, but be a part of the change. American Airlines is now hiring for a Regional Director, State and Local Government Affairs.
American Airlines' State and Local Government Affairs office represents American Airlines, and its parent company, AMR Corp., on all legislative, regulatory, public policy, and community issues pending before state, county, city and other local governments, including airport authorities and governing bodies. Our office is responsible for directing and coordinating all political, governmental, and community strategies to support the company's business goals on a state and local basis wherever American Airlines and/or American Eagle serve domestically throughout the United States.
The incumbent in this position will report to the Managing Director, State and Local Government Affairs, who in turn reports to the Senior Vice President of Government and Regulatory Affairs. The position will be responsible for handling political, governmental, regulatory, or community issues for American Airlines and American Eagle in ten states in the Chicago Region. Although this is a position with regional responsibility and coverage, the principal and primary focus will involve governmental, political, and community issues in Chicago and the State of Illinois. Also provides support as needed to the policy initiatives of the Washington, D.C., office of American Airlines.
Specific duties include:
· Formulating, developing, implementing and executing governmental, legislative, regulatory, and
public policy strategies on behalf of American Airlines on a state and local basis.
· Ensuring that regional, state, and local lobbying efforts correspond to the overall legislative,
regulatory and policy goals of American Airlines.
· Advancing the goals of American Airlines in the states, cities, and local communities that we
serve in the Chicago Region by fostering and developing ongoing relationships with various
constituency groups throughout the region, but with a particular focus in Chicago and the State of
· Preparing and presenting testimony (written and oral), developing issue papers, and creating
presentations or other articles/briefs for the organization.
· Working effectively and collaboratively with the other Regional Managing Directors for the
State and Local Government Affairs group.
Working effectively with American's Airport and Sales organizations throughout the Chicago region
to achieve the company's goals and objectives.
· Overseeing and directing any state and local government affairs consultants who may be working
for or on behalf of American Airlines in the Chicago Region.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with a government, regulatory and/or business background, preferably with experience in the Chicago area.
· Candidate should have 7 to 10 years of experience, preferably including service with a
federal, state or local official, or a key government agency. Experience with aviation issues is
· Knowledge of the political and legislative process including the ability to critically review and
research laws, ordinances, and regulations, preferably with knowledge and
understanding of aviation laws, regulations, and ordinances.
· Demonstrated time management, multi-tasking and organizational skills and the ability to work
under pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced, changing and complex environment.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to effectively
advocate and communicate on behalf of American Airlines with all level of officials.
· Ability to work, communicate, and collaborate effectively with all levels of the organization
and with other airlines and constituencies as appropriate.
· Superior analytical, problem solving, communicative (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
· High level of decisiveness, initiative and attention to detail essential.
· College degree required.
· Must be able to work evening and early morning events as dictated by the requirements of the
Job Requirements - Level 5 and Above
• Must pass a background reference check and criminal fingerprint check
AMR knows America's spacious skies -- and lots of others. Its main subsidiary is American Airlines, one of the largest airlines in the...