Regional Business Director - Southeast
FL,GA,NC,SC, United States
The Regional Business Director (RBD) is responsible for managing and leading a team of Area Business Managers (ABMs). The RBD is responsible for sales, market development and strategic business planning for Acorda's promoted products in the assigned region. The territory includes NC, SC, coastal GA and, FL, excluding the panhandle.
The Regional Business Director (RBD) is responsible for managing and leading a team of Area Business Managers (ABMs). The RBD is responsible for sales, market development and strategic business planning for Acorda’s promoted products in the assigned region. In addition to managing the activities of the ABMs, the RBD works closely with Regional Account Directors, Regional Reimbursement Directors and Market Development Managers as appropriate to assure pull-through strategies and tactics are successfully executed to achieve the desired regional sales results.
The territory includes NC, SC, coastal GA, and FL, excluding the panhandle.
*Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Role is broken out into six (6) key ‘role’ areas: Drive Performance, Team Leadership, Regional Business Planning, Coaching & Development, Talent Acquisition, and Tactical Execution . A description (in bullets) of the responsibilities is included under each of the roles. Please note that the Core Competencies and Key Behaviors for this position are provided under a separate attachment.
It is the critical responsibility of the RBD to develop and sustain a performance-driven and competitive mindset within the team in order to drive business results.
- Effectively executes all business strategies to consistently meet or exceed sales goals
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of the market dynamics and partner with Regional Account management, Regional Reimbursement Directors and Market Development Managers to maximize pull and push-through initiatives
The RBD provides and sustains a motivating environment through creating and carrying out a compelling Regional vision for their ABM Team.
- Continuously shows commitment to this vision, embraces change and positions it for an opportunity to create competitive advantage.
- Models the way to ensure the team operates in full compliance of company policies and corporate governance
- Works to create a trusting and motivating environment by ensuring the Regional team members live up to and model the Acorda P&Vs, Commercial core competencies and corresponding key behaviors on a consistent basis
- Communicates a clear understanding of incentive compensation, performance management, rewards and recognition programs, and career pathway counseling.
REGIONAL BUSINESS PLANNING:
The RBD receives a national Plan of Action (POA), and adapts and prioritizes elements of the POA to the Regional market optimizing the use of Acorda resources in their business planning processes. Development of the Regional POA requires that RBDs have an intimate knowledge of the customer and market influences within their Region and then develops specific plans to leverage this understanding as necessary to drive sales results.
- Ensures the business planning process is implemented at the ABM level and reviewed quarterly for progress and/or course correction
- Continually reviews assigned territories within the Region to analyze the business and helps their ABMs to develop strategies and tactics to meet objectives
- Plans and conducts effective Regional POA meetings
- Develops critical relationships with local and Regional KOLs within assigned Region
COACHING & DEVELOPMENT:
The RBD is the primary agent for ABM development. RBDs accompany ABMs on field rides to observe and provide timely, honest, and transparent feedback; role model selling behaviors; support sales pre-call planning, rehearsal and post-call assessments; and provide instruction (following ACE) to develop the ABMs’ selling skills.
- Ensures effective performance management process in place and adhered to including timely mid and year-end reviews
- Understands how to interpret key sales operations reports and teach their ABMs how to identify opportunities with these reports to reach the desired sales results.
- Creates specific development plans for each team member focused on improving certain core competencies
- Documents ABM progression through the effective use of Field Coaching Reports
- Partners with Commercial Sales Training & Development to ensure professional growth, development and effectiveness
The RBD engages in numerous tasks that enable them to recruit, select, and on-board new ABMs.
- Identifies talent, conducts effective interviews, engages in data sharing / decision making meetings and orients / on-boards new-hires.
The RBD executes sales and marketing plans and the national POA within their respective regions. RBDs must ensure that the national sales POA is communicated to their ABMs and then lead, monitor, track and report on activities and results related to the plan.
- Meets and exceeds annual sales goals that contribute to the overall company objectives while acting in complete and total compliance with laws, regulations and policies.
- Identifies, develops and executes business opportunities for Acorda by focusing on appropriate positioning of Acorda products within assigned Region
- Manages expenses within Regional budgets
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required with a minimum of six to eight years of pharmaceutical/biotech industry sales experience and/or management; or equivalent combination of education and experience. This should include experience as a sales representative (two to three years). Other Commercial experience such as Sales Training, Marketing or Managed Markets is preferred.
- Strong in-depth knowledge of Specialty Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding and capabilities for Consultative Selling
- Strong interpersonal, team building, influencing and leadership skills
- Strong business acumen, client-service, and results orientation
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Self-directed and confident, with developed ability to build team work centered on shared commitment and goals to achieve high standards of performance
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position supervises a team of Area Business Managers
Computer skills: Must be proficient in MS Office Suite
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid and current driver's license and current auto insurance
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The Regional Business Director is required to travel extensively; the average travel for this position is 50-60% with some variation based upon the demands of the business imperatives. This position requires frequent overnight travel for weekly field visits, Regional and National POA meetings, Conventions and other required meetings – must be able to travel to various meetings as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
No specific work demands
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions