Job Title: Regional Legal Staff Attorney
Job ID: 05190
Division : Claims Legal
Work Location(s): United States-Minnesota-Eden Prairie
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Personally handles or manages litigation of a more complex nature involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines, applicable standards of good faith behavior, and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums, whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation, arbitration, workers' compensation, and administrative proceedings, and any necessary appellate work. Provides legal advice to assist the timely disposition of claims in a fair and equitable manner consistent with relevant statutes and within the guidelines of the company. Advises and counsels other company departments on a request basis.
- Inside Litigation (65%)
- Personally handles litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines, applicable standards of good faith behavior, and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Handles files and issues of a more complex nature with higher levels of dollar exposure and requiring less oversight. Communicates with client regarding file status and progress.
- Analyzes file as litigation progresses. Evaluates cases and seeks settlement authority as necessary.
- Conducts discovery (e.g. written interrogatories, requests for production of documents, and depositions).
- Conducts motion practice.
- Drafts all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs to advance litigation activities at the trial or appellate level. Conducts necessary research in support of drafting activities.
- Advocates client position in all forums (state and federal court, alternative dispute resolution, administrative tribunals and regulatory hearings) and circumstances, both formal and informal. Negotiates effectively in the resolution of claims and other issues.
- Outside Litigation (25%)
- Manages litigation involving either the corporation and/or its insured within established corporate guidelines, applicable standards of good faith behavior, and the applicable code of professional responsibility. Handles files and issues of a more complex nature with higher levels of dollar exposure and requiring less oversight. Communicates with client regarding file status and progress.
- Assigns cases to outside defense counsel based on their strengths and expertise. Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship to communicate the company position and maintain a spirit of cooperation and trust.
- Directs the activity of outside counsel. Evaluates cases and provides timely authority. Participates in settlement conferences with plaintiff's attorneys and outside counsel as needed.
- Controls expense of litigation by review and control of activities of outside counsel. Exercises good judgment in the authorization of expense to be incurred and activities to be undertaken. Moves litigation activity toward a conclusion in a timely manner. Consults with outside counsel regarding expense questions and problems.
- Evaluates files and grants settlement authority to outside counsel.
- Drafts reservation of rights letters as needed.
- Consultation/Advice/Education (5%)
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation and enforceability of the various policy provisions. May develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property, workers' compensation, environmental law, commercial coverage).
- Drafts opinions on issues presented to them.
- Responds to inquiries from other departments in a timely manner. Identifies legally significant facts, researches applicable principles of law, and recommends and documents an appropriate course of actions in a manner that can be understood by a nonlawyer.
- Develops and delivers presentations for other departments to inform personnel on how the law affects their particular job responsibilities.
- Performs assignments for other divisions and departments.
- Administrative duties (5%)
- Uses case management system and related software effectively.
- Creates and maintains files in the case management system.
- Adjusts reserves to reflect company exposure based upon file information available at that time.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Formal Presentation
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Technical Expertise
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Admission to the State Bar in state where they are located or eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within a year of hiring.
- Juris Doctor.
- At least 3 years demonstrated experience resolving civil cases through litigation, both jury and non-jury trials, and through arbitration and mediation.
- Demonstrated experience handling cases of moderate exposure and /or complexity.
- Familiarity with the rules of Professional Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and insurance law.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the rules of civil procedure.
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
- This position requires travel up to 50% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to talk between 33 and 66% of the time.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance - 5 months ago
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...