The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Florida seeks a Regional Organizer to coordinate the ACLU's outreach efforts to mobilize public support for civil liberties and civil rights throughout Northwest Florida, with a specific emphasis on LGBT rights. This full-time position is based in the ACLU of Florida's Regional Office in Pensacola and reports to the Northwest Regional Director.
The ACLU of Florida is an unwavering voice in the courtroom, legislature and communities across the state working to defend and advance individual rights and personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and civil rights laws. Its programs address a broad range of constitutional issues including, but not limited to criminal justice reform, voting rights, free speech, religious freedom, equal protection, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, and Fourth Amendment guarantees and privacy rights.
One-half of the Regional Organizer's time will be devoted to further developing, organizing and managing the current advocacy campaign to advance and defend lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) rights in Northwest Florida. The remaining time will be spent developing and expanding the ACLU of Florida's campaigns in various other program areas.
The ACLU of Florida has an annual budget of $3.5 million and a staff of 30 working in offices in Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Pensacola. The ACLU-FL Northwest Regional Office serves a multi-county area from Pensacola to Tallahassee. It is staffed by a Regional Director, Regional Organizer, and Staff Attorney who work collaboratively to implement the civil liberties priorities of the ACLU. To learn more about the work of the ACLU and the civil liberties principles we uphold, please visit www.aclufl.org .
- Design and implement grassroots strategies to mobilize ACLU of Florida members, chapter volunteers, and supporters to take meaningful action on the ACLU's state and national priorities throughout the Northwest region, including furthering the organizing and advocacy strategy to increase public awareness and understanding of LGBT rights;
- Assist with implementation of anti-bullying/safe schools and Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) training for teachers, guidance counselors and other interested adults. Develop curriculum and program activities for GSA sponsors to use throughout the year at GSA meetings;
- Help recruit, mentor and develop local leaders in a regional civil liberties movement, including efforts to advance and defend equal protection laws / ordinances for LGBT individuals;
- Coordinate and lead coalition partners on LGBT-related issues throughout the Northwest region with a particular focus on outreach to communities of color, military and religious communities;
- Work with the national ACLU LGBT Project, other ACLU of Florida staff, and national, state and regional organizations to expand rights for LGBT individuals and their families in the Northwest Region;
- Manage a public education and engagement campaign to energize the LGBT community and allies, identifying supporters, activists and volunteers who support equality.
- Collaborate with ACLU staff throughout the state to develop and expand civil liberties campaigns that address ACLU priorities;
- Assist the Regional Director and other staff members in developing regional outreach/organizing materials, such as fact sheets, PowerPoint presentations, sample letters, etc., and
- Build upon existing relationships and create new alliances to strengthen ACLU of Florida's visibility and mobilization efforts.
The ACLU-FL is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience;
- minimum of one year experience with organizing and grassroots mobilization;
- a demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights and the mission of the ACLU;
- familiarity and experience with LGBT issues;
- excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- an ability to keep organized in a fast-paced environment and to manage several projects simultaneously;
- strong computer skills, including proficiency in using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher);
- familiarity with social media networking;
- experience in supervising and motivating volunteers;
- demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with diverse groups and organizations;
- ability to build a vision, to stimulate, and inspire others;
- ability to attend evening and weekend meetings, and to travel throughout Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties Florida. Access to transportation is required;
- fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not required.
idealist.org - 15 months ago