The Regional Underwriting Manager will have responsibility for managing personnel on-site as well as office management responsibilities for a new start up location in Las Vegas, NV.
Cultivate and maintain strategic territorial business relationships with an emphasis on risk management, business development and personnel development. Ensure quality risk decisions, which support United Guaranty's corporate guidelines and philosophies, are delivered in a timely manner providing optimal customer service. Initiate, develop, and promote business relationships resulting in strong and profitable lender partnerships. Manage all risk management and underwriting personnel, functions and resources within assigned underwriting territory to achieve or surpass established profitability objectives. Contribute to, and support, Profit Center business plan. Promote and support United Guaranty's vision statement, corporate values and quality improvement culture.
Additional responsibilities include:
Risk Management and Underwriting:
- Responsible for direct report personnel administration including: Recruitment, hiring, salary administration, performance review, training, development, disciplinary action and termination of personnel under direct supervision.
- Maintain a performance management structure designed to maximize risk management, underwriting and operations employees potential.
- Establish meaningful performance objectives and individual development plans for all direct reports and provide opportunities to achieve these objectives.
- Seek opportunities for personal development using individual development plans.
- Effectively and consistently communicate to underwriting territory personnel regarding company risk management, underwriting and operational policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure adherence by underwriting territory risk management, underwriting and operations personnel of all corporate established policies and procedures.
- Responsible for all business lines and risk management within assigned underwriting territory, including credit and operational risk.
- Responsible for risk management and underwriting personnel, functions and resources within assigned underwriting territory.
- Effectively use United Guaranty's sophisticated measurement systems and reporting capabilities in proactive management of risk, compliance and the direction of business development efforts. Promote use of same by all direct reports.
- Ensure that risk management and underwriting personnel meet United Guaranty's productivity, quality and service standards.
- Exercise appropriate judgment and authority in interpreting and making knowledgeable loan and program decisions, including appropriate guideline exceptions.
- Maintain adherence to FNMA, FHLMC and investor guidelines.
- Responsible for the viability of contract underwriting relationships within underwriting territory.
- Act as the primary risk management, underwriting and service level point of contact within assigned underwriting territory.
- Work closely with the sales teams, both locally and National Accounts, to identify customer opportunities. Enhance relationships by coordinating value added services such as training, process development and risk management expertise.
- Initiate, develop, and promote business relationships resulting in strong lender partnerships. Meet with lenders to discuss territorial concerns, or portfolio program opportunities.
- Create and increase company visibility in assigned underwriting territory through participation in local trade organizations.
- Cultivate and maintain strategic business relationships with management of key accounts.
- Analyze lender book of mortgage insurance business and present findings to the lender's key contacts through use of risk management tools. Use presentation skills to identify trends, business opportunities and build credibility as their mortgage insurance partner of choice.
- Prepare and manage annual budget including salary and staffing projections, travel and entertainment expenses, operational costs, and any other budgetary items. Review monthly variances and assess pertinent issues.
- Prepare annual business plan for assigned underwriting territory and regularly report on plan execution.
- Responsible for review and approval of new master policy applicants.
- Completion and follow through of new employee set up process.
This position requires:
- Excellent customer service orientation, technical and analytical skills with the ability to conceptualize and then drive toward innovative, yet practical, solutions while balancing multifaceted risk and business considerations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent project and people management skills.
- A strong sense of urgency about solving problems, meeting challenging deadlines and achieving critical goals.
Additional leadership qualifications include proficiency in the following:
- Extensive knowledge of the mortgage and mortgage insurance industries.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in the mortgage industry, preferably with 5-7 years of that experience in a risk management role.
- Flexible travel schedule.
- Bachelors degree, preferably in a business related field.
Subsidiaries of United Guaranty provide mortgage guaranty insurance throughout the U.S. that protects lenders against mortgage credit losses. In addition, United Guaranty's comprehensive range of financial products and services to lenders and investors includes structured products, innovative pricing options, and comprehensive online support. United Guaranty's international locations include operations in Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, Sydney, London, Madrid, Milan, Budapest, and Mexico City.
- Knowledge of required computer skills (Windows, Word, Excel).
- Demonstrated proficiency in underwriting related technology applications (DU, LP, Lender specific AUS).
- Knowledge of internet based applications.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- Strong customer service skills.About United Guaranty