Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. provides the business advantage to some of the world’s largest retailers, auto manufactures, consumer electronics companies and more. Our services ensure that our customer goods move from production through the supply chain to the end user. Offering air and ocean freight forwarding, global warehousing, transportation, reverse logistics, surface transportation and supply chain solutions, we perform a key role in keeping world trade moving. Globally Yusen Logistics employs over 17,000 staff across 412 offices.
As part of the NYK Group established in 1885, one of the world’s most recognized and trusted names in shipping and logistics, Yusen Logistics is consistently recognized as one of the most ethical and sustainable companies.
SUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to Manage or Direct, on an assigned regional basis, corporate compliance with U.S. Customs Regulations, develop and improve YUS CHB operations, to resolve problems in the company’s Customs Brokerage operations, and to promote sales of import or brokerage services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Responsible, on a regional basis, for Yusen’s operational compliance with U.S. customs regulations, monitoring the same with counterparts, and acting as internal compliance and service level auditor for territory assigned. Required to report monthly CHB compliance issues to senior management.
· Responsible for knowing and monitoring compliance errors, directing corrective action, and following up to ensure corrective action steps are being followed to prevent future fines, penalties, demurrage charges, and other related fines/penalties.
· Developing an internal training program on custom house brokerage and imports, working jointly with all concerned departments (ISD, OCD, BDD, Branch) and providing reports to senior management on this activity. Identifying operational training needs and providing training as necessary.
· Developing, delivering and maintaining training seminars to be offered to clients, to in part promote visibility to customers of Yusen’s import products.
· Joint development with branch management of key customer development targets, and establishing 10 personal account targets in the region, with possible trans-region potential, to pursue vigorously.
· Develop a CHB product knowledge test and grading for Import Managers and report results to senior management.
· Develop a CHB product knowledge for Branch Managers, to ensure a minimum knowledge basis and ability to provide basic supervision of import operations.
· Develop and/or update regularly standard operation procedures/manual for CHB services. Train operations and sales personnel on CHB compliance and sales.
· Develop “Fact Sheets” for Yusen overseas operations to identify YUS capabilities, and report results to senior management.
· Develop working environment where CHB compliance can be supervised by Branch Management, including reporting. Communicates recommendations to Branch or Service Center Management for improving CHB compliance. Assists in resolving operational conflicts and maintaining harmony among import staff.
· Jointly develop reports and other ISD related tools for use with all import and CHB customers, and promoting these tools to secure new business and maintain existing business.
· Joint development with ISD of improved operational tracking of import products.
· Participates in industry groups to increase corporate visibility and to help keep HQ informed about current U.S. Customs procedures and to offer advice on potential enhancements to the YUS CHB operation.
· Abides by ISO 9001 quality systems and products.
· Assists in the set-up of any new brokerage department; assists with staffing issues; arranges for coverage in the event of extended staff shortages.
· Providing support to staff on use of aiTRX (Import Customs Clearance Program), and may be a member of aiTRX Steering Committee.
· May develop a budget for import sales for all branches, and provides a monthly reporting of this sales activity.
Education and Experience: College degree, plus 7 – 10 years of experience in customs brokerage business, required. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Other Qualifications: Customs Brokerage License, required. Excellent communication skills and customer service skills, required. Experience in EDI and proficiency in computer technology, preferred.
Employment with Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. comes with competitive pay and an excellent benefits package including paid vacations, holidays and sick time. Insurance benefits include medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents. The company also provides short term and long term disability, group life insurance, and AD&D. Additionally there is a generous 401K savings plan and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) benefit. We offer company-paid skills training, as well as a Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance program and career and advancement opportunities.