Teach adaptive living skills for household management, personal care and communication skills
JOB Functions AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Train seniors adaptive living skills such as cooking, cleaning, labeling clothes, laundry, labeling groceries, grocery shopping (or learning to utilize store customer service personnel), dealing with mail and correspondence
· Make home visits
· Obtain additional demographic information from participant
· Assess skill levels pre- and post- training
· Develop a training plan with the participant, identifying the highest level of independence consistent with capabilities
· Provide adaptive living skills training in participant’s home and in group/class setting
· Refer participant for other appropriate services within the program
· Coordinate training needs of participants including travel training and braille instruction
· Provide information and referral services to participants
· Teach people to effectively utilize community resources
· Provide sensitivity training to family members, significant others and neighbors and teach them when and how to assist the participant
· As necessary, assist participant to develop a network of people who can assist with tasks the participant is unable to do independently or needs assistance to perform.
· When appropriate, assist the participant with transition to Volunteer Services
· Keep accurate records on each participant
· Assume additional duties as assigned
· Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in the field of rehabilitation, education, psychology, sociology, or related field
· One year work experience in rehabilitation teaching, rehabilitation, or education of persons with disabilities or two years work experience in general education or other related field
· Experience working with aging population preferred
· Bilingual (English/Spanish preferred)
· Drivers License with safe driving record
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to work and communicate with individuals with disabilities
· Basic computer skills
· Clear understanding of needs of aging population, especially those with disabilities including blindness
· Ability to relate effectively with others on staff
· Ability to learn adaptive techniques for training people with visual loss and other disabling conditions
· Ability to effectively train others
· Ability to learn adaptive technology for persons with visual disabilities
· Ability to initiate, coordinate and organize activities independently
· Demonstrate skills in providing independent living skills training, preferably with experience in “hands-on” individual training to persons who are elderly or who have visual disabilities and/or other disabilities.
· Must be able to lift up to 10-15 lbs
· Must be able to report to workstation without assistance.
· Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
· Must be able to conduct repetitive motions on a daily basis.
· Braille Grade 1 and 2
· Eye Medical Course
· Independent Living skills
· CPR/1 st Aid
· Low Vision Services
· Adaptive Low Vision Aids
TRAVEL: Approximately -60- percent.
SALARY: $30,000-35,000 Annual
This job description does not imply these are the only duties to be performed. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operations of the Division/Department upon request by his/her supervisor.
Please apply on our website at www.salighthouse.org/jobs
SAN ANTONIO LIGHTHOUSE, A NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION, IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.
San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -