This is a technically skilled position responsible for the operation of the raw water pump station, water treatment plant, water towers, reservoirs, stand pipes and distribution system pumping stations, and in the maintenance of water treatment equipment. The Appleton Water Treatment Facility utilizes lime-softening and ultrafiltration membrane technology to produce a high quality water. Work involves monitoring all phases of the water treatment process including maintaining appropriate water elevations, pressures, and chemical dosages. The operator drains and refills basins, starts and stops membranes and operates low and high lift pumps. Maintenance work involves preventive tasks or assistance in corrective repair activities of treatment processes, membranes, and pumping equipment; performing general upkeep and cleaning of water treatment facilities and equipment; and acting as a Relief Operator to fill-in for Water Plant Operators when scheduled. The Relief Operator reports to the Water Operations Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
• Performs assigned duties of Water Plant Operator when scheduled as Relief Operator including monitoring water levels and system pressures, determining process flow rates, adjusting chemical dosages,
• Performs membrane system cleaning and cartridge repairs.
• Conducts chemical inventories and assists in chemical delivery and unloading.
• Assists Water Plant Instrumentation Technician and Water Plant Maintenance Specialists as required.
• Maintains correct water levels and distribution system pressures.
• Performs water quality sampling and testing functions throughout the facility and distribution system for process monitoring and regulatory compliance as required.
• Monitors and responds to security system alerts as appropriate.
• Maintains accurate records and reports in written and electronic formats.
• Troubleshoots problems in equipment, and takes systems off-line, including water towers, for cleaning and inspection.
• Performs building and grounds maintenance including general facility housekeeping, cleaning and painting of water plant structures and equipment.
• Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
• Assists in preventive maintenance on all Water Plant equipment.
• Assists with maintenance of plant electrical, instrumentation, and HVAC systems.
• Assists with emergency repairs of essential equipment and transfers chemical systems on off duty hours as required.
• Performs confined space entry for work in various structures and facilities as required.
• Performs snow removal.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires education or training beyond high school in water treatment technology, with WDNR Surface Water certification preferred. Requires one to two years of operating experience in a water treatment facility, manufacturing environment, industrial maintenance environment or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Requires minimum of a WDNR Surface Water Training license with the ability to meet an Operator 1 designation in 18 months.
• Knowledge of State and Federal regulations governing operation of water treatment and distribution facilities.
• Knowledge of maintenance practices and procedures related to mechanical systems including large capacity pumps, drives, and control mechanisms.
• Knowledge of safety requirements in an industrial environment including precautions associated with working with mechanical equipment and chemicals.
• Knowledge of State and Federal regulation governing operation of water treatment and distribution facilities.
• Requires working non-routine shifts, weekends, and holidays on an as needed basis.
• Ability to use a variety of personal protective equipment effectively, including self-contained breathing apparatus.
• Ability to use variety of hand and power tools.
• Ability to use computer interfaces including SCADA system and reporting software to enter process and regulatory data and produce records.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions and make independent judgements based on available information when necessary.
• Ability to perform analytical procedures according to method protocols and quality standards.
• Ability to react promptly and efficiently in emergencies.
• Ability to perform tasks which require frequent standing, climbing, reaching, squatting, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying for extended periods; often under adverse weather conditions.
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with other employees and to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Ability to safely operate hand-trucks, snow removal apparatus, forklifts man-lifts and similar equipment.
• Ability to perform all duties in a safe manner consistent with department and city safety policies and procedures.
• Valid Wisconsin driver's license.
City of Appleton, WI - 14 months ago