Ashford University is currently seeking a part-time, remote Online Writing Consultant to provide writing assistance and instruction to our online students, primarily in an asynchronous environment. This consultant will provide written feedback on email assignment submissions to students of all skill levels and all steps of the writing process.
Essential Job Duties:
• Providing written feedback on email assignment submissions with online students at all skill levels and all steps of the writing process, from narrowing a topic, drafting an outline, to revising and editing a final draft.
• Working with undergraduate as well as graduate students.
• Some synchronous chat sessions may also be required.
• Maintaining student login records
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Assisting with AWC team with webinar activities
• Answering email questions
• Other duties as assigned
• Prior knowledge of Writing Center Pedagogy
• Demonstrable experience with writing tutoring
• Demonstrable experience with online tutoring or teaching in a university environment
• Demonstrable experience with email and chat writing support in a university environment
• Strong writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Must be knowledgeable in using technology, and proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word and PowerPoint)
• Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
• At least 1 year tutoring experience in a post-secondary writing or learning center
• At least 1 year experience teaching or tutoring online at a post-secondary institution (may be substituted by experience with online tutoring offered through an on-site institution)
• Considerable experience working with non-traditional students
• Experience working with or within electronically mediated systems, including learning management systems, content management systems, websites, web-conferencing systems, and chat applications.
• Master’s degree required. Degree preferred in English, Rhetoric, or related field (M.A. in Communication, Journalism, Eng./Ed, with at least 18 graduate credits in English)
If a degree is required for the position, completed
degrees must be conferred by a regionally accredited or approved nationally
accredited institution. All candidates must provide proof of education (official transcripts) upon request.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed at Campus Security & Fire Safety Report . The report includes
certain campus safety policies and statistics on reportable crimes and
incidents that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings, and on
public property immediately adjacent to campus or accessible from campus for
three previous years. The policies include campus security policies,
crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and sexual assault, among
others. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...