The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Research Analyst for its HarvestChoice team (harvestchoice.org) based in the Environment and Production Technology Division (EPTD). The successful candidate will develop/refactor web-based content management and geo-spatial applications, assist managing HarvestChoice’s flagship spatial datasets, and monitor/maintain dedicated servers that host the applications and websites.
This position is a one-year, exempt, fixed-term, renewable appointment located at IFPRI Headquarters in Washington, DC, but will involve travel to the countries in which IFPRI carries out its research.
- Carryout literature reviews and syntheses, as needed.
- Write research and project reports under supervision and guidance, and prepare presentation materials from them, as needed.
- Perform statistical/econometric data analysis and synthesize results, as needed.
- Develop new functionality to the HarvestChoice’s content/knowledge management systems for providing analytics and visualization of HarvestChoice’s spatially-explicit datasets.
- Develop new (or refactor legacy) tools facilitating the continued streamlining of the sub-national crop production statistics data.
- Manage and process large spatial and tabular datasets; manipulate them in GIS and database software.
- Compile and harmonize data sources obtained through HarvestChoice’s network and the Collaborator’s own research which provide input data for the on-going maintenance and updating of the SPAM sub-national crop statistics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s or equivalent degree in computer science, bio economic modeling, quantitative geography, or related fields
- Minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience, post-Master’s
- Proficient in modern computer programming languages and developing applications in agile, open, and team-oriented development environment
- Significant experience in developing, managing, and customizing websites, content management systems, and geo-spatial applications on Linux and Windows Servers
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Ability to work independently and effectively with colleagues from diverse cultures
- Good interpersonal skills
- Sound knowledge of agriculture, economic development, and natural resource management issues
- Previous experience working on, or extensive knowledge of, international development issues
- Experience in managing and manipulating large tabular and spatial databases on Microsoft SQL Server and Postgre/PostGIS platforms using programming languages.
- Comprehension of French language
IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) - 16 months ago