The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Revenue Watch Institute (RWI) is a nonprofit policy institute and grantmaking organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas, and mineral resources for the public good. Working in over 30 resource-rich countries, RWI pursues this goal through research, advocacy, capacity development programs, and technical advice to governments and civil society actors. For more information, please see: www.revenuewatch.org . RWI began as a program of the Open Society Foundations before becoming independent in 2006, and employs its staff in New York and London.
The Natural Resource Charter provides a comprehensive framework for examining the system of governance and management of natural resources. The recommendations contained within the NRC span the entire chain of decisions faced by governments. More details about the Charter, its products, and activities can be found at www.naturalresourcecharter.org . The Charter secretariat has recently merged with the Revenue Watch Institute, while it continues to grow as a global initiative and framework. This position will involve playing key role in expanding and advancing the global development of the Charter.
Purpose of Position
RWI seeks a highly motivated, capable individual combining analytical skills with an understanding of policy-making and applied economics. The research analyst will be expected to be a core member of the data and analysis team, reporting its head. The research analyst will contribute innovative ideas and rigorous analysis in a clear and concise manner toward the development of the Natural Resource Charter product and to RWI’s work on research and data more broadly, noting the recent merger between the two organizations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Open Society/RWI may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Draft technical papers, case studies, and policy papers and contributr to applied research to inform the strategic decisions faced by resource-rich countries;
- Work with and coordinating a global network of experts related to natural resource governance;
- Contribute to the development of the NRC Country Assessment Framework, including the methodology and application of quantitative and qualitative performance indicators;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of economic management training modules;
- Provide strategic inputs into development and project management of RWI programs of data and research related to the economic management of petroleum and mineral industries, including the design of fiscal regimes and the macro-economic management of natural resource revenues;
- Contribute to RWI efforts to build data tools facilitating comparative research on extractive economies and extractive industry policy;
- Support other data and research priorities within the data and analysis team;
- Represent the organization in international conferences, the media, and other public events;
- Travel may be required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and several years of relevant experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s-level degree in economics or equivalent preferred;
- Several years of relevant research experience;
- Foreign language skills strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated empirical skills and experience with data analysis;
- Excellent listening and communication skills, both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate complex technical approaches in plain English to clients and internal teams;
- Knowledge of extractive industries, regulatory and institutional standards, and/or transparency and accountability issues, as well as experience in developing countries;
- Highly motivated and an ambitious self-starter willing to take advantage of the opportunities this position offers at the cutting edge of extractive resource economic management and governance;
- Effectively manage to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, with strict deadlines and without loss of attention to detail, budget, and reporting;
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research and database management;
- Effectively work as a team member and independently, with a high-level of self-motivation and ability to set and meet goals;
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- Knowledge of key organizations and networks active in the field;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with colleagues and the general public.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please send a cover letter and CV before to: recruitment-JI@opensocietyfoundations.org and include job code in subject line: RWI RAL.
Open Society Foundations - 11 months ago
New York, NY
Greater New York Hospital Association
- 6 days ago
New York, NY
- 17 hours ago
Corporate Insight, Inc.
New York, NY
Corporate Insight, Inc.
- 13 days ago