The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as Research Assistant for a one-year appointment for its Development Strategy and Governance (DSG) Division. The position is based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington, DC, and is a 1-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
Technical Editing (50% time)
• Assist in technical editing of research reports that will be forthcoming from the Competitive Grants awardees
Administrative Support (50%)
• Performing various tasks associated with the management of the Pakistan Strategy Support Program (PSSP) research, specifically the Competitive Grants Program. Tasks will include but not be limited to such activities as:
o Coordinating administrative duties associated with the Competitive Grants Program including organization and facilitation of PSSP workshops, conferences, meetings and other events
o Coordinating distribution of IFPRI written and video materials to collaborating universities in Pakistan, organizing various short courses, coordinating the activities of the PSSP’s competitive research grants program and its Research Advisory Committee, and related activities. Undertaking these assignments may involve some travel to Pakistan.
o Researching and maintaining updated content on website, blog, newsletter and other communication tools for the Pakistan Strategy Support Program research, capacity building, outreach and policy advising programs and projects
• Other tasks as assigned
• B.A. in communications, international affairs, international development, economics, history, or similar field that has prepared the candidate for organizing research, capacity building and outreach activities.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time.
• Strong analytic writing skills.
• Proficient in popular software packages (Microsoft Office, Adobe Fireworks and/or Photoshop) and internet-based communication and networking systems (Wordpress).
• Previous experience with field-based development and/or communications activities in a developing country.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a team oriented spirit; ability to work in a culturally diverse environment.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Interest in economic development, agricultural development and the reduction of poverty and hunger in Pakistan.
• Previous experience with field-based development and/or communications activities specifically in Pakistan is preferred.
• Proficiency in Urdu.
• Research experience.