Throughout the Department of Neurology at UCSF, our mission is to deliver superb patient care, to apply state-of-the-art translational research methods to discover the causes of and treatments for human nervous system disorders, and to educate each generation of medical students, neurology residents and postdoctoral fellows. By fostering cross-disciplinary interactions among scientists around the world, we accelerate the pace of discovery and champion the University's global health initiatives.
The mission of the UCSF Memory and Aging Center is to provide the highest quality of care for individuals with cognitive problems, to conduct research on causes and cures for degenerative brain diseases, and to educate health professionals, patients and their families.
UCSF's Department of Physiology discovers and promotes knowledge of how the human body functions through an understanding of cells, organs, and systems. Through the combined efforts of faculty, students, and staff, we strive to maintain a scientific community that fosters excellence in teaching and research, and which will train the next generation of scientists.
The incumbent will participate in clinical research studies at the UCSF Memory & Aging Center and the Department of Physiology as part of a multidisciplinary team. The incumbent will act as study coordinator for a study investigating eye movement control and neuroimaging abnormalities in subjects with neurodegenerative disease. Studies include noninvasive quantitative eye movement measurement, neuropsychological evaluation, structural MRI analysis, and functional MRI. The SRA will:
• Maintain contact with current cohort of subjects;
• Recruit and schedule new subjects and follow up appointments;
• Perform miscellaneous grant-related administrative duties;
• Conduct eye movement experiments, including operation of test equipment ;
• Help conduct fMRI experiments;
• Analyze data using software written in Matlab;
• Help with writing new experimental and data analysis software for eye movement and neuroimaging analyses;
• Perform neuropsychological testing of research subjects
The incumbent will also perform other related duties.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• BA/BS in Neuroscience and one or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Experience in Neuroanatomy;
• Experience with computer programming and data analysis;
• Competence in database utilization, SPSS, MS Access, Excel and MS Word;
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate research aims and procedures in clear, simple and concise terms to potential research patients and families;
• Familiarity with research environment;
• Ability to learn quickly and to multitask;
• Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team;
• Excellent organization and interpersonal skills;
• Highly motivated and flexible with documented ability to work independently;
• Demonstrated interest in research
Physical Demands: requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, waist twisting, climbing stairs, reaching up to shoulder height, lifting up to 20 lbs., carrying/pushing/pulling up to 30 lbs., fine finger manipulation, gross manipulation, simple grasp, repetitive movements of upper extremities, ability to differentiate color, use of protective equipment.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
• Proficiency in Matlab;
• Interested in science or medical career;
• MA or MS in Biology or related science;
• Experience with fMRI/MEG research;
• Experience working with patients;
• Evidence of proficiency in patient care equivalent to Emergency Medical Technician certification or more advanced (need not be in CA) or willingness to obtain prior to employment