Research Associate – |
Advanced Materials -- Market Research on Emerging Technologies
Lux Research scouts advanced materials throughout the innovation funnel, assisting clients in devising future business strategies that best capitalize on the emerging technologies of today and tomorrow. Coating, composite, and metal technologies enhance the performance of today’s products, while emerging platform technologies like graphene, 3D printing, and metamaterials advance the frontier of tomorrow’s material capabilities.
Lux Research is aggressively seeking Research Associate candidates to support our business intelligence services in the Advanced Materials field.
Research Associates spend most of their time conducting interviews with technology developers, identifying and analyzing patents, scientific publications, and financial transactions, and drawing on this work to analyze emerging companies and trends. This service monitors innovative technologies, companies and market adoption dynamics in the areas of protective and functional coatings; PGM catalysts; high performance metal alloys and polymers; composite processing and recycling; carbon nanomaterials; 3D printing; advanced ceramics, smart materials, and other advanced materials.
· Conduct primary and extensive secondary research on emerging materials topics drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press articles, scientific publications, patent filings, venture capital transactions, and conference presentations.
· Perform thorough analysis of the technical value and business execution for emerging material companies targeting applications such as transportation lightweighting; advanced barrier additives for packaging; chrome-coating replacement; electrostatic dissipation and electromagnetic interference shielding; anti-fouling marine coatings; waterproof electronics casing, etc.
· Author descriptive documents that profile the activities of start-up companies, large corporations, and research laboratories.
· Assist with the production of research reports and other client deliverables.
· A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor's degree required in materials science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering; Master's degree is preferred.
· Minimum two years work or postgraduate experience with a background or experience in one or more of the following: materials science, chemistry, physics, civil or environmental engineering, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering.
· Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies and passion for discussing them with internal colleagues and external clients on a daily basis.
· Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, start-up environment.
· Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
· High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
· Ability to write clearly and incisively about business and technical topics, and desire to refine presentation and public speaking skills to present on such topics to executive audiences.
· Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
· Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
· Fluency in spoken and written Mandarin, Japanese or Korean is a plus; Western European or Middle Eastern language skills are also desirable.
· Excellent office software skills (Excel proficiency required) and ability to touch type.
We are candidates local to the Boston or New York City metro areas. There is no relocation assistance associated with this role.
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this role.
This is an entry-level position whose professional leveling is not appropriate for PhDs or post-docs.
Lux Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer.