The Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law is a non-partisan public policy and law institute that focuses on the fundamental issues of democracy and justice. Our work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from racial justice in criminal law to maintaining checks and balances in the fight against terrorism. A singular institution – part think tank, part public interest law firm, part advocacy group – the Brennan Center combines scholarship, legislative and legal advocacy, and communications to win meaningful, measurable change in the public sector. |
The Brennan Center seeks a full-time Research Associate for its Liberty and National Security Program. The Liberty and National Security Program works to advance effective national security policies that respect constitutional values and the rule of law. We focus on policies in the areas of domestic counterterrorism, government secrecy, and detention. The Research Associate will provide research and administrative support to staff working in the program, and will be based in the Brennan Center ’s New York City office.
The ideal candidate has:
- Conducting legal and non-legal research;
- Contributing to Brennan Center reports, fact sheets, and op-eds regarding national security and civil liberties issues;
- Providing litigation assistance and document management;
- Updating the LNS Program web pages and providing communications support for LNS activities and events; and
- Performing a wide range of administrative tasks, including: entering data, preparing foundation reports, handling photocopying, correspondence, filing, and scheduling.
- Excellent writing skills;
- Strong analytic and research skills;
- Experience in public policy analysis, journalism, law, and/or organizing;
- Creativity in ferreting out information;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Confidence in reaching out to advocates and activists around the nation;
- Inclination to collaborate with others;
- Enthusiasm for administrative tasks;
- Humor, initiative, and openness to evolving responsibilities; and
- A bachelor ’s degree (individuals with JDs or other advanced degrees will not be considered).
The Brennan Center, an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, is strongly committed to diversity and welcomes applicants of all races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated.
Salary/Benefits: $35,000-41,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
How to Apply: Please go to http://brennancenter.theresumator.com/apply/NujyAl/Research-Associate-Liberty-And-National-Security-Program.html and upload as one document (where it says “attach resume ”) a cover letter, resume, writing sample of up to 10 pages, and contact information for three references. No phone calls, please.
We encourage applicants to submit their applications early; applications must be submitted by February 20, 2013. The anticipated starting date for this position is March 2013. A firm two-year commitment is required.
For more information about the Brennan Center, visit our website: www.brennancenter.org.
Brennan Center for Justice - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -