IPA’s Research Methods and Training unit provides resources, support and oversight of IPA internal systems for high quality research. Tasks and duties performed by the Research Methods and Training team include:
Position Summary :
- Cross-country coordination of research oversight and survey methods
- Advice and guidance for questionnaire design, Stata, data entry, computer assisted interviews, data management, data security, and other field research activities
- Sharing resources for survey design, data collection, data entry, data management and data analysis
- Leading the design of curricula and logistics for staff training
As a part of the Research Methods and Training unit, the Research Associate will provide technical assistance and support for research methods and knowledge management.
The Research Associate positions offer a unique opportunity to gain first-hand experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The Research Associate will work closely with academic researchers, other field staff, and IPA’s Research Manager for Survey Methods and Measurement to perform a variety of tasks including (but not limited to) management of research proposals and of IPA’s Internal Review Board (IRB), contributions to the organization’s questionnaire resources, development of further research resources with a particular focus on research design and measurement, and coordination of knowledge management. The Research Associate will play a pivotal role in managing research projects throughout their initial development period and in creating and promoting research resources with an emphasis on measurement and research design.
Specifically, the Research Associate will:
- Contribute to the organization’s measurement and survey design resources
- Support the management of IPA’s Questionnaire Database
- Develop research resources with a particular focus on research design and measurement
- Support the management of research proposals through IPA’s Research Review Committee (RRC)
- Support the management of research proposals through IPA’s Internal Review Board (IRB)
- Maintain, manage, and enhance IPA’s knowledge infrastructure (including, but not limited to, Box, Salesforce, and SharePoint)
- Assess knowledge and learning requirements (short- or long-term) and recommend options for development
- Research best practices and new techniques to apply to knowledge capture and dissemination for IPA’s learning/knowledge management initiatives
- A Bachelor's degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, or related fields
- Prior/alternative learning and work experience will be considered
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection, measurement and instrument development, and a passion for learning best practices and innovations is necessary
- Familiarity with research design and particularly the design of randomized evaluations (including related proposal writing and/or proposal review) is a plus
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong analytic and quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of French, Spanish, or another relevant language is desired
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player
- Strong attention to detail, with a quality-focused mindset
- Exposure to professional services environment and multi-national experience preferred
- Knowledge of Stata or other data analysis software preferred. Programming skills are a plus
- Prior experience with Computer Assisted Interviewing and/or data entry software is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (including Excel) is necessary
- Familiarity and prior experience working in developing countries is a plus
- Interest in travelling and passion for poverty research
- US work authorization preferred
1. To apply, please click here
2. Complete the J-PAL/IPA common application . Please select the position(s) you are interested in applying for on the 'Submit Application' page. Include two letters of recommendation, statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts. We will consider your application even if you are unable to obtain reference letters before the deadline, but please be advised that we will be requiring them should you be invited for an interview.
Innovations for Poverty Action is an EO Employer-MF/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
IPA will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 1-203-772-2216.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Research Associate . The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to email@example.com .